Shad guts?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 25, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Since the flood and now everyone is fishing we happened to meet a ol timer at our fishing hole and he was landing fish like crazy using shad guts. Anyone else use this bait?

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Gut pockets are pure gold. Livein near salt water I always go to the various marinas and collect the spoils of that days catch. Ya will not be dissapointed. Little bit of elastic thread to help hold it on the hook and you are in bussiness.

3. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Shad guts, cut shat, live shad. I think its the oil. You can't beet it.

4. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    I love shad guts, bream guts, skipjack guts....they are gourmet treats to the cats.

5. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Definatley one of the best , spring, summer, fall. I buy shad guts frozen from the local bait dealer. I'll say they are a little pricey but they are tough and I have caught two or three on one bait when they are really biteing good, which isn't very often this year. I like to have a package every time out although frozen shrimp saved my last time fishing.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I like using shad guts, but any part of the shad body is good.

7. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    what about those packaged shad? are they any good? ive thought about pickin up a pack, when im feelin a bit lazy or im takin kids out,just to save time. but i dont want to go wasting my money if they arent worth the cash...anybody tried them before?

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Skipjack guts are especially good because the gut is larger than a shad of the same weight, and is very tough, so it stays on the hook very well.

9. BigCATDADDY01

BigCATDADDY01 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I tried shad guts for the first time last year we got them frozen from a friend of ours and let me tell ya they brought on some of the hardest hits Ive ever seen.

10. fishinjunky

fishinjunky Member

State:
    Nebraska
    the channel cat will tear up carp guts. i have never used them but know plenty of people that do and usually the smallest channels they catch are 10 pounds many to 15, which is huge for the stretch of river i fish. as for blues never heard any success for them with guts.

11. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    When I fish below a spillway I will rig one pole with nothing but a shad gizzard then the other two with cut shad and a whole shad. Most of the time, the gizzard alone has produced the first strike. They are not always as big of fish on the gizzard, but they still have whiskers.

12. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58624

Richard I've never used them but after reading the thread above I never have to now :big_smile:

13. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    when i was stationed in MO there was a gas station that sold frozen shad guts in a quart jar for 2.50 for pure numbers they were the best bait, whenever they were running water they outproduced everything else combined.

14. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i never go out with out a jar of guts. yea they are expensive to buy froze 7 to 8 bucks a jar. i have caught everything from 1 lb to my pb of 48lb blue on guts. also u catch alot of other fish i caught my pb gar,22lb and my pb stripper 19lb on guts. love my cut bait but i love my guts to. never caught a flattie on them but i have caught everything else. lol been using them for 5 yrs and have seen them go from 4 bucks a jar to 8 bucks a jar.

15. charlestoncatman

charlestoncatman New Member

State:
    arkansas
    where could you get them? i mean buy them?

16. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    You should be able to find them at any "good" bait shop. and if you ever happen to "forget" them in the boat or truck for a day or two in the summer, just make sure you remember to open the jar with a bit of caution :eek:oooh: and down wind may help a bit too! Now I don't know if any of yall have ever tried making a sough bait but my uncle used to take all the "left over" shad and grind them up in a food processor until they were soup, then he/we would add white flour and gelatin to them to firm them up for a good stiff ball, always caught channel on them and still make a few batches to the day........

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Richard, I've always had very good luck getting shad below Dardanelle Dam. When they're running good, I can't use a throw net because I'll get more in the net than I can lift. When it's like that, I use a long handled net made from 1/2" hardware cloth. Throw the small ones back and gut the big ones. While you're at it, you can keep enough shad to last you a couple or three days; get them on ice ASAP and keep them there. Don't bother trying to freeze shad, except for the guts. If you can find skipjack, though, they freeze much better than shad. Also, the gut from a skippie is much larger and tougher than from a shad.

18. jamminbassplayer

jamminbassplayer New Member

State:
    kansas

I bought some "bloody baby shad" at the local wally world - I've caught nothing with them, but that doesn't mean anything, I haven't been catching much of anything here (the walnut river around el dorado, ks) I never caught anything with live goldfish either, and the old timers swear by them here.

19. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    they work well for cats but also work great for stripers in rivers or lakes where they both reside.

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never had any luck with store-bought baits. Now, I've caught cats on baits bought at the store, but they weren't being sold as bait. Bacon, salt pork, chicken liver, chitlings.