Shad guts and how to keep them

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by 187um, Mar 2, 2009.

1. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    i had a couple of questions about shad guts. has anyone tried to keep guts for a later time?? i am going to try to put them in like a tupperware container and freeze them. anyone have any advise on how to keep them??

2. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Freeze them. I put them in qt bags or pint carton's. like Livers come in. Trick is do not stack a lot of them in there at one time. Allow them to freeze fast. They stay red looking that way. If not they will turn black when you take them out.
    We used to cut out a 16ft boat loaded with them. I'm talking about only 6" of free board lift on the boat. We would pour them on ice as we cut the guts out. AS if you don't they will swell up. That will also turn them back. So keep them cool as you can after cutting them out.
    Pete

3. 187um

187um New Member

State:
    west frankfort, ill
    thanks shiloh will it work if the shad was frozen whole dethawed then put back in freezer?

4. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey I was wondering what the best way to gut the shad is. I haven't ever done it, and I hear they can be a very effective bait. Thanks.

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Rod it should work.

Andy I cut from the head toward the fin on the bottom. From the head theres a dot if you cut from that then angle down toward the fin behind the cut pocket it allows you to stick a finger up in there (With a plastic glove to protect from the bones) and curl the finger dragging the cut out. It easy I can do a few thousand in a couple of hours.:smile2:
    Pete

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    There use to be a family located at Browns Landing in Gilbertsville, Ky that did this commercially. They would dip the shad by boat loads below Ky Dam and would them take them to the landing and cut them up. Freeze them, package, and ship. I have not seen them doing this for awhile now. One man said they made lots of money doing it.