Shad guts 9, cut gill 0

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by primitive, Sep 5, 2006.

1. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Went to lock and dam #14 on the Mississippi riv Monday PM. Baited my big cat rod with fresh cut blue gill with great expectations. Ugly stick rod got shad gut. First hour nuthing. Second and third hour, I caught seven nice chanels on the shad guts while the gill bait pole never got bent once. Yes, I freshened the bait couple times. Son inlaw came around, saw the light, and tried the gut bait, caught two cats. Guts 9 - cut gill 0.

2. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Good job,that really took guts to post!!:big_smile: :big_smile:

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I think the guts leave a really good scent trail in the water and the fish associate them with any easy meal.

4. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Great fishing, Ron! I have never tried shad gut. I believe I will give it a try, soon. I have used bluegills alot and have done fairly well. Good luck on future trips and thanks for the info!!

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Hey Ron thanks for the info, If I ever get any shad big enough I may try those gut pockets out.

6. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I have been buying them frozen at the bait stores. Sort of expensive but I've caught a lot of chanels this summer with them. They must come from big shad cause one gut loads up a big circle hook. I have caught three to four cat on one bait, as it stays on the hook really good.

7. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Shad guts are my go-to bait, and it outfishes just about everything else I put on a hook. Channels, blues, rockfish, and stripers, and the occaisional flathead - they all eat 'em like candy. I like to castnet a bunch of 10"-12" shad at the dam, fill up jars and coffee cans full of them, ice down, and freeze them. The shad don't run the wall at the dam after sundown, so it's nice to have bait when I begin a day of fishing at 2 or 3 am. :smile2:

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the info,I'll be trying it out soon.

9. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Good to know , thanks .