Shad gut

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Willy, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Looking for a place to buy a large quanity of shad gut in pint jars. Anyone got any ideas where someplace would have a bunch?We are out in this area and no one has any clue where to get more.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Check with Forty Woods Bait Shop in Blue Springs. They're the local HQ for shad guts.

You must have a hankering to catch a bunch of small channels, eh?

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What about Minnesota bait? There the ones that all the other bait shops get there live baits from.

4. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All I can tell ya is the man said he tried everywhere and no one had any quanity to resell to other bait shops.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Sounds to me someone is catching some fish off of shad guts. Either that nobody is out catching shad to supply the stores with.

6. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A good day of catching close to 50 channels to 10 pounds beats setting in front of a computer wishing I was fishing.On top of that didnt have to move a whole lot to catch them also. If you can find them they are a fun deal as you can go back day after day and have a blast doing it.Shore do eat good too as I dont mind killing them for the freezer as opposed to a bigger fish.

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    use cast net or gill net, then throw it into lake or river. you have wait for like 10 to 25min then you have to pull it and catch them then put freezer.. that how people catch shad..

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i didnt know there was a market for pickled shad gut but , i guess it would make since seeing how some like it and the fish love it .

9. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Shad guts and circle hooks sure made a lot of my fishing trips successful last summer. primitive

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Save the guts from them crappie. Make good channel bait.

11. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    how exactly do you fish wit the shad and crappie guts??????

12. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We use light action rods with small weights and # 4 wide gap or small circle hooks to fish for channel cats in the winter with shad guts. Yes you can collect your own but i do not get too many big shad to waste on making pint jars of shad gut.Around here it costs about $6/pint if you can find it.