shad gut for blues catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by poopdeck [patrick], Sep 24, 2005.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I believe shad gut is the best bait for channels, I have used shadgut for years bank fishing the mississippi and smaller rivers. Being a bank fisherman It/s kinda hard to get to the blues on the part of the mississippi where I fish. How ever when the river comes way up theres a couple of places where you can get the blues. I have caught several nice blues on shadgut, but like I said I didnt get to target them all that much.Now we have a boat so I can target them. What I/m gonna do is put on a big ole hunk of shad gut on first , tie thread around it, so it don/t fly off , during a long cast, after I got the shad gut tied on, gonna put me a long strip of cut shad.I/m gonna try a bunch of tricks Ive learned in here , especially drift fishing the dikes. i can not fail ,gonna nail them tonite :)

2. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    good luck to you on the blues, shad guts should work fine, just find some deep fast water and you should do well.

3. highwayman582004

highwayman582004 New Member

Im hopeing theres several people post on this one because I dont really knowing anyhting about float fishing for blues on the river--got lots to learn so some of you old pros do me a favor and post up--thanks.

4. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    patrick heres a little trick i learned when i use to fish near dupo i would put shad guts on the hook then hook a piece of filet on. And since you are fishing from a boat you don't need to fling the bait out their let the current do it for u .

dusty
    U.S.M.C. ALUMNI
    GOD BLESS

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    For numbers of blues, I like to use the center section of the shad, complete with the gut; when targeting big blues, I like the head section, preferably cut with the front of the gut pocket attached.

6. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    I used shad gut for the first time last weekend fishing from the bank on the ohio. I didnt get any hits but to be fair i didnt use it for very long cause they were hitting pretty good off of beef liver. What are some good techiniques for rigging shad gut and what is the best place to use it?

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm with Jtrew on this. If I have larger shad, I'll cut the head and part of the guts for one bait, and then can usually get 2 more 1" wide pieces out of the gut pocket. I'll wrap some thread I use for tying livers on around the gut-pocket sections to keep the current from washing the guts out. If they are smaller, I'll cut them in half, the head half gets some innards and the tail half gets some. I've never used just the guts, though.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've never used just the guts from shad, but I have from skipjack. Skipjack are larger, and the gut is noticeably larger on a 1/2# skipjack than on the same size shad; in addition to being larger, it's much tougher.

9. Tncatman

Tncatman New Member

State:
    knoxville,Tn
    if you have the right bait shad or herring always look for the channel bouys its very easy to find them kind of close to the bank by doing this you find dropoffs and these fish will come out of the deep and feed shallow whether by boat or bank there is some great fishing this way

hope this helps Tncatman

10. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Shad guts work well for blues in the spring here.I use the guts alone. I buy then frozen in pint jars at the bait shop. They are a little costly about $7.50 a pint.Be sure to hook the gazzard last so they stay on better.

11. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I used to buy shad guts until I figured out how to throw a cast net. Shad can be found year round...you just gotta know where to look.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, fresh shad are much, much better than preserved or frozen shad. Frozen skipjack makes a good bait, but even with skipjack, I prefer fresh.

13. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    the only part of shad i freeze is the guts , they are as good as fresh . If you freeze guts do them in small batches. just what you will use in one day

14. Dizzy

Dizzy New Member

State:
    kings,mtn N.C.
    when we fish for bigg blues with a float we cut the head so it looks like the shape of a snow cone they really like this shape when you are useing a float.

15. ccramerding1990

ccramerding1990 New Member

How do you ctch skipjack.

16. ccramerding1990

How do you catch skipjack.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Some folks like to use a sabiki rig, while others use crappie jigs. Usually two attached in tandem, although some like to use three. Unless they're running small, two at a time is all I want to try. Using small lures or spoons will certainly work, but I have too many break-offs to use anything but cheap jigs. Sometimes color makes a difference, sometimes it doesn't. Often, a fast retreive on or near the surface works best, but sometimes you have to let the jigs sink before you start a slower retreive.
    Best spots seem to be fast water/current breaks.

18. ccramerding1990

ok thanks for the insight...