Shad fishing?

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Rookie12, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I'm headed to the congaree/Santee/Wateree in a week and I'm reading about American shad in the rivers this time of year. Is this true and how do you catch 'em? I'd love to get in on some of that, but have no clue about how to do it. Also, are these fish that have come all the way from the ocean up these rivers, if so, then that's a haul. Do you just use small crappie jigs in tandem to catch them. That's what I've heard. Thanks!

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Yes, the American shad can be caught using the tandem jigs, preferably chartreuse in color. I did some investigating a few weeks back like you are doing now. I haven't tried it yet. From what I understand, it is most successful in the tail race at the dams. I spoke to several old hard core river rats, and they said it was difficult to catch them that way in the open river. They did say you could have some success fishing for them around the pilings where the old train tress els are in the river. The key is to get the proper amount of weight according to the current, to keep the jig at the correct depth the shad are running. Hope this helps, and good luck. Keep us posted on your results. BTW: You can also check out "shad talk" on the Fishing America section of this forum.
    Bill in Bennettsville

3. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Chris,there is a fellow in gaston NC Bobby Colston, runs a tackle shop and fishes a lot for the shad,even catches them with flies fly rodding.He sells a lure called a shad dart,supposed to made for the shad,also sells them in "sets" wich is a dart with a little bitty spoon as a trailer,or the spoon with the dart as a trailer,dont know for sure,He ships stuff I have ordered stuff from him.He is a super nice fellow,he does some of the reporting for the nc wildelife reports on the roanoke river.He'd be the fellow that could more than likely awnser your questions.(252)-537-6485 caulstons tackle box.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Good luck on your fishing trip let us know how you do

5. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Bill from SC told the gospel truth use very thin line aroud 4or 6 lb. test. Put a cork in front or the jigs about 2 to 3 ft. throw out the jigs and jerk and stop jerk and stop. Work it like U would a popper. If the shad are around the will nail it.

PeeDee Cat

6. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thanks for the info. fellas. Has anyone ever heard of shad getting in the Congaree/Santee/Wateree rivers? If they come all the way from the ocean, then that's a haul for 'em. Should they still be around by next weekend. We're mainly cattin' and striper fishin', but thy would be fun to catch and I hear thy make good bait and ain't bad eatin' either. Thanks again!

7. FLATHEADJOE

FLATHEADJOE New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    went to the waccamaw todat all the way up by the conway marina and caught 4 shad yesterday was throwing a chart. beetle spin .also managed a few bream.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Some shad will come all the way up to the congaree and wateree, but most stay in the lakes, I think. If you fish below a riffle or dam or any other kind of obstruction, it helps to pile up the fish.

While you are here, if you want to catch some shad, it's not a long drive down to either the Tailrace on the Cooper River (lake Moultrie dam) or Wilson's Landing on the Santee where it comes out of Lake Marion or the Rediversion Canal which joins Lake Moultrie to the Santee River (landing near Arrowhead campground). All three will have lots of shad right through the end of this month. The shad will actually be around a whilelonger, but the longer they are in the river the more weight they loose. By May some of them are starting to get kind of skinny.

And yes, the 1/8 oz jig head with 2" chartreuse curly tail is the standard lure around here.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Thanks for the info. We'll be mainly catfishing, but I'm going to bring a rod to throw for shad while I'm waiting on a rod to buckle. Thanks fellas! I'll let you know if I find any down there. see ya

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have caught a few american shad right below wateree dam in lugoff. caught them in a dip net while getting big gizzard shad.