Shad Fall Hatch

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catfishcentral, Aug 19, 2008.

1. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    During the late summer and early fall the shad hatches from the spring seem to be in huge quantities. I personally fish the rivers above my local lakes and when late Aug and Sept arrive the amount of shad in the river heading downstream into the lake is staggering. It looks like oil slicks in the river with schools so massive there in the millions. These shad can be from two shad hatches from the spring the 1 to 2 inchers that get stuck in your net or slip through and the 2 to 3 inchers. The shad seem to be so abundant that I wonder if my bait hardly gets notice in a real sea of shad. I do okay this time of year but wonder what others do this time of year.

So do change up what bait you use or fishing habits for the fall shad hatch when there's so many shad in the river or lake?

2. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I fished a similar area and there were tons of shad but there were more gar tearin thruogh them and had them scattered. managed only a couple dozen. By the end of the night we only caught two on shad and 13 on DK's original.

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    they are showin up in record numbers here too. the sand bass are tearing them up and the walleye too. haven't caught any cats in the lake lately, just in the ponds. the ghost minnows are fixing to spawn right now so they are everywhere too. i guess it's like early spring, there's too much bait concentrated everywhere right now for me to do any good.

4. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Nobody else experience this or have a opinion. There's usually no shortage of opinions on the BOC.:wink:

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i guess they're all somewhere else debating cpr or something chris!

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Iffn I were a smart fella I would have titled this "CPR!!!!!.... Ban all trotlines, jugs and limblines" That would have gotten a few more responses.:smile2::tounge_out:

7. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Yep,if you want to draw a big crowd talk about all of the above.........

8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Here in missouri (southwest) thinfin are schooling and are thick, up feeder creeks and will appear in center of lake, in lager schools, don't see how anyone catches anything, all a cat has to do is swim with his, mouth open.
    Pelicans, start to arive before long and they get rid of a bunch, of them. the hickory shad seem to be harder to get at this time.
    Wonder how many shad you could get,on a jug line.:roll_eyes:
    Jim

9. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've always felt like, if I was fishing where the shad weren't, I wasn't fishing. Maybe there's such a thing as an embarassment of riches.

No shad in the North Canadian right now, and no cats, either.:sad2: