SHAD COMING OFF

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jan 20, 2010.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    WELL I GOT A PROBLEM, I WENT OUT TO THE LAKE AND GOT A TONE OF SHAD BUT THE SHAD WERE FLIYING OFF, AND AS SOON AS IT LANDED THE SMALL ONES WOULD STRIP MY BAIT, ONLY BAIT I CAN GET IS GOING TO BE BLUEGILL A WEEK BEFORE THE TRIP, WILL THEY HIT A FROZEN CARP OR SLICES THAT WERE ON ICE FOR ????

2. TEXAS_TRUBADOR

TEXAS_TRUBADOR New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    try a tandem rig or try sticking the hook through the upper back of the shad thenbending it and running the point through the head work for me

3. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    For the shad coming off, hook em thru the nose or both gill plates, never had a shad come off hooken them there.... if your after the small eaters downsize your bait piece and hook, if your after the big ones MOVE to a different spot, small cats wont hang around if a larger one is present.... if you have a ton of shad dont switch baits, stick with the shad....

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    I would stick with the shad if u got them.Wish I could get some.Things still froze around here.
    What lake U fishing that isn't froze??

5. 4Low

4Low New Member

State:
    Lonoke, AR
    Definitely stick to the bait found in the area. Stick the shad twice with your hook, or cut them into smaller chunks and use the heads and midsections. Hope this helps...

6. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I just fished the Arkansas river for the past 3 days using shad. Most were hooked thru the mouth and out the top of the head. The fish wanted the head and gut sack. Every now and then, I'd hook one thru the top of the head, but never had any of them come off.
    Were they fresh shad? I think you said they were. A lot of people use frozen shad. They can get mushy and mealy after being frozen for a long period of time. Try hooking them thru the mouth/head. It should work.
    I used Team Catfish 8/0 circles hooks. They hook and hold.

7. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    move to deeper water -- put out a big carp chunk on one rod just to see if they will hit it. Or try this cut ya shad into small chunks and load the hook up with em till its full ya should have a nice thick ball of cut shad. Dont worry to much about a exposed hook that big lug of shad might outlast the lil peckers till a bigger one takes notice of a big meal and crushes it. You might want to try shad guts to it will catch the hell out of the eaters on a smaller hook.

8. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    If you are hooking the head I usually hook them through the eyes or through their mouth into the top of their head. I you are using a cut further down I usually use a 9/0 circle hook and make sure to get it deep through both sides around the back. Know that I think about it; I use 14 in shad. If you are using smaller shad use a smaller hook and weight up your line so that you are casting your weight and not your bait. Three way rig helps me accomplish that. Hope some of this helped.

Catfish_Rob

9. truman lake guy

truman lake guy New Member

State:
    mo
    i love cut carp for bait! it needs to have the skin on to hold the bait..hook thru the skin. about quarter size piece will work/u could tip the carp with shad, if they steal the shad you will still have bait on.

10. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Yes. I have used thawed cut bait many times. Matter of fact, I used thawed cut bait this weekend. Caught several eater blues while using it. They will also hit cut grass carp, cut or live tilapia, or cut or live perch.

Personal preferance: I don't like shad. I have better luck on fresh cut bait and live bait than anything else, although I prefer them live. Live seems to attract the fish quicker.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010