Shad/Bluegills-Flatheads

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by tunnafish, Jun 26, 2008.

1. tunnafish

tunnafish New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Cast Nets
    I've been researching flathead sites and am getting all excited about giving fishing for them a try. I like all kinds of fishing and have been doing a lot of (unsuccessful) fly-fishing this spring. I know flatheads prefer live-bait, especially bluegills, but fresh shad seems tops for catfish in general. I live in Columbus, which I realize is not the "flathead capital" of the state, but I hear some can be caught here. Anyway, I've been considering buying a cast-net and have looked at all the sites regarding how to cast them. I'm an older, recently-retired guy so I'm able to indulge my whimsies a little. Here locally, the shad-netters talk about boat ramps, etc. Our local rivers are rocky. Do they stick to ramps to avoid snagging their nets? It doesn't seem like the ideal place to catch bait. Also, is it possible to effectively catch quantities of bluegills with a cast-net? Also, is it legal?

2. skinner766

skinner766 New Member

State:
    Orrville Ohio
    Yes they are staying away from the rocks to avoid snagging their nets, and it is illegal to use bluegills you catch in your cast net.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,you have to catch bluegills with rod and reel.shad will run around boat docks also,you can get a good quantity off of them.
    don't get frustrated with the flats,sometimes it takes a good while to catch them.and some of the guys do catch some nice flats on shad,flathunter is one of them.

4. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    SHAD MAKE GREAT FLATHEAD BAIT. I FISH THE MAUMEE AND USE MOSTLY FRESH CAUGHT CUT SHAD. I USED TO USE LIVE BAIT ALL THE TIME BUT FOUND THAT CUT SHAD WORKS JUST AS GOOD, SOMETIMES BETTER, AND ITS SOOOOO MUCH EASIER TO ACQUIRE AND MAINTAIN. JUST A COUPLE OF THROWS (HOPEFULLY) AND I'VE GOT MY BAIT. NO NEED KEEPING IT ALIVE. BUY A SMALLER NET AT FIRST (EASIER TO THROW). CHECK AROUND DAMS, INFLO OUTFLOW TUBES AROUND DAMS OR ANYWHERE YOU MIGHT HAVE SEEN MINNOWS SCHOOL UP. CALL LOCAL BAIT SHOPS THEY MIGHT HELP. IT'S BEEN AWHILE SINCE I'VE FISHED DOWN BY COLUMBUS BUT CHECK THE DAMS AROUND DELEWARE, OR ANY OF THE LARGE LAKES AROUND THERE. A WORD OF CAUTION, YOU MUST CHECK TO SEE IF THROWING A CAST NET IS LEGAL AT WHATEVER DAM YOU'RE AT, OHIO REGS. SAY IT'S ILLEGAL WHERE POSTED SO LOOK FOR SIGNS. FLATHEADS CAN TEST YOU'RE PATIENCE BUT STICK WITH IT YOU WILL BE REWARDED!

5. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    I just caught my 1st flathead on a creek chub. Caught in my creek in a minnow trap. I am also considering getting a casting net.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    boat docks, and spillways are good locations for shad...I get most of mine out of a pond that the scioto river runs into when its high and flooded.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    also if you are wanting a flathead I would forget about fishing lakes right now...they are much harder to locate for me in lakes..I would concentrate on the scioto appx5-10 miles south of columbus.

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I prefer the bluegills anyday over shad....................but there are others who have caught many and much bigger fish than me that swear by shad. I would say decide for yourself and try to keep both on hand until you find out what they want on that particular night. The gills are easy to catch. You just have to find a local farmer with an over stocked pond that will allow you in. This is hard because at some time or another someone has left a bunch of trash at his pond before and he no longer lets people fish there:embarassed: This is experience talking. The shad are easy to catch also but you have to find a spot where they are "schooling".