Shad Bait preferance for cats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bnt55, Aug 19, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I have been reading about the different species of shad located in the Ohio river system, primarily the gizzard shad and the threadfin shad. Has anyone noticed a difference between the two when it comes to fishing for big cats? Also can anyone tell me a good way to tell between the threadfin and the gizzard shad? Apparently the gizzard shad is messier in your bait tank than the threadfin...and I thought they were all messy:roll_eyes:

2. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Not only do a lot of anglers misjudge the threadfin’s importance, many cannot positively identify a threadfin shad on sight. That’s understandable, since it has a lookalike cousin, the gizzard shad that for a short time looks similar and has many of the same characteristics.

Gizzard shad also occupy an important niche on the food chain, but they have one characteristic that forever sets them apart from threadfins: they grow much larger, up to 16 or 18 inches, striped bass were originally stocked in some reservoirs to control these larger gizzard shad.

Basically, both threadfin and gizzard shad are silvery-white in color and have distinctly forked tails. The threadfin’s tail, however, has just a shade of yellow, while the gizzard shad’s tail does not. Closer examination will also show that the lower jaw of the threadfin shad projects beyond the tip of the snout, but a gizzard shad has a more blunt nose and the jaw does not protrude beyond the nose. Both species often have a distinct black dot on the shoulder, behind the gills.

Threadfin’s rarely exceeds three inches in length.

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    thanks for the info, I guess I have been using gizzards since I have been catching them around 6". Does anyone use the threadfins for catfishing? or are their larger cousins more desirable?

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I believe threadfin shad will outperform the gizzard shad. They may be smaller in size but they seem to work better for me. Any one else believe this to be true? Good post

5. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I believe threadfin shad will outperform the gizzard shad also .

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Repssssss.

7. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    Threadfin shad work great down here for numbers of smaller fish, occasionally a big blue will hammer the smaller baits. When I am targeting big fish I like the big gizzard shad much better. I cut them for the big blues and they hold a lot more blood to put off a scent trail.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for that info! Every once in a while I would notice the yellow tail and I was never sure if that meant anything. I just figured I had not noticed it the other times.