shad bagged in fridge??

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by shanelures, Jun 10, 2009.

1. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    was wondering about bagging and puting shad in fridge for couple days. will they keep better than freezing and thawing? thier starting to show up in the marina by my house.got about a half dozen or so and put them in the fridge won't have a chance to use them till the weekend. am i wasting my time:eek:oooh:?? any info would be very apriciated, thanks a million, shane

2. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    shane i have kept fresh caught shad in the frig for a couple days but they were fresh.
    it probably depend on how old they are.I freeze mine then thaw them before going out.It seems to me the guts are good even after they are thawed.then it will depend how large they are
    hope this helps................... Gods speed

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Shad caught and put in the fridge is way better than freezing them. But you can only keep them in there for about 4 days before they will start to go bad.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree, before we went to Louisville last time we caught them the day prior, put them in bags but just stuck them is a cooler filled with ice. For 2 days they were as good as new. Always better just to give them a chill instead of freeezing them if you are going to use them soon..

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey, thanks for the info guys! shane

6. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,if ya freeze and then unthaw them,they get mighty squishy.just keep them in the fridge or on ice.if you have to freeze them,it is better to take them out of the freezer and throw them in a cooler and let them start to thaw slowly,then use them when they are still about half frozen.

just remember,fresh is always the best

7. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey, thanks for the details, shane