Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I policed up another 5gal bucket of shad today, pretty good sized ones. If any one would like them, I'll keep them in the fridge for a couple of days, I won't gut them. If no one replies , I'll gut'em and put the carcasses back. please let me know if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mark, once again, your orationary skills just fascinate me, did you go to a "special" school to aquire this fantastic capability?:smile2:

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jay, they'll be here, just called you and left a message, I'm gonna head down to the boat ramp in a little bit, there was a bunch of'em swimming around under the ice, gonna see if I can get some of them too.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, Jay came by and got the shad a couple of hours ago, probably puttin'em up by now.
Whoops, never did notice the page two:roll_eyes: Jay, didn't notice you were here until I hit the send button:smile2:. You're very welcome, anytime. Looking forward to Saturday too.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris, I'll do all I can to stop your slobberin, PM me your phone number, if I get more tomorrow or the next day I'll give you a holler and you can come git'em, I don't like to keep'em in the fridge more than a day though without freezing them, which I don't have room to do with a 5gal bucket full.
I don't believe Alma is that far from me, well more than I thought. I just looked at the map, appears to be around 80 miles or so, well let me know, If you'll come get'em, I pick'em up for you.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chris, just got a PM from Katatonik, he said he'd like some shad, so if I get some tomorrow, I reckon I'll have to let him have'm as he contacted me first.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
John, no, they're just washing up on the shore, they're "winter kill". The ice melts and they're struggling at the top of the water, the cold water gets'em.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hey Jim, I'm curious does it just have to be right after the ice thaws or is it just cold water? I'm thinking about driving around to the local fishing ponds and walking along the banks to find some. I know I've netted some at those places in the summer, and there hasn't been ice on these ponds for a week or so maybe... do you think I'll have any luck? I was out on the Walnut River today and the sonar said the water was 44 degrees, not sure what the temps in the ponds will be.

Also, when you freeze them to use as bait, do you make cut bait and freeze them that way or just freeze them whole? I imagine you use some of them for that "special recipe" bait in your big tub you showed me last summer:smile2:.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Steve,
Nice to hear from you again. Yeah, I freeze mine whole, I vacuum bag them in those plastic bags the newspapers come in.
I can't really give you any advice on ponds or rivers, as I've not had any experience there.
Here at Milford, when the cove ice would breakup/melt, the shad would start floating in.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Thanks Jim. I'm hoping to make more trips up to Milford this spring and summer. One of my good friends moved up to KC and we were thinking that Milford might just be the perfect meet in the middle place every once in a while. I also got a motor for the jon boat so we won't be puttin around with the trolling motor like we were last summer (or get towed when a storm rolls in):smile2:. Well anyway, I think I will try and find some shad on the banks of the local fishing ponds around tomorrow before it starts raining.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.