Shad available

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Catfish Fever, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    I policed up another 5gal bucket of shad today, pretty good sized ones. If any one would like them, I'll keep them in the fridge for a couple of days, I won't gut them. If no one replies , I'll gut'em and put the carcasses back. please let me know if anyone is interested.

2. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ya' know---you really are a nice fella. Don't worry, I won't tell anyone.

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, once again, your orationary skills just fascinate me, did you go to a "special" school to aquire this fantastic capability?:smile2:

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    y'all are just too much on here. i get tha funniest looks from everyone over here because i'll just bust out laughin at posts.

5. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Jim
    I would like to have the shad. I still got your number, I will give you a call tonight and work out a time to pick them up. Thanks

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Jay, they'll be here, just called you and left a message, I'm gonna head down to the boat ramp in a little bit, there was a bunch of'em swimming around under the ice, gonna see if I can get some of them too.

7. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Hey jim what would it take get some of those shad that I can't seam to find this winter?

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I just got off the phone with Jim , he's out there gettin em right now. He said they are big ones 8-12 inchers.

9. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    Man that just makes me :still_dreaming:cause I only have about a dozen 10 inchers left, plus a couple skipjack.

10. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    They were big ones! From 10-14 inches. Filled eight 2 gallon freezer bags. Thanks again jim and see ya saturday.

11. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Well, Jay came by and got the shad a couple of hours ago, probably puttin'em up by now.
    Whoops, never did notice the page two:roll_eyes: Jay, didn't notice you were here until I hit the send button:smile2:. You're very welcome, anytime. Looking forward to Saturday too.

12. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Chris, I'll do all I can to stop your slobberin, PM me your phone number, if I get more tomorrow or the next day I'll give you a holler and you can come git'em, I don't like to keep'em in the fridge more than a day though without freezing them, which I don't have room to do with a 5gal bucket full.
    I don't believe Alma is that far from me, well more than I thought. I just looked at the map, appears to be around 80 miles or so, well let me know, If you'll come get'em, I pick'em up for you.

13. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Chris, just got a PM from Katatonik, he said he'd like some shad, so if I get some tomorrow, I reckon I'll have to let him have'm as he contacted me first.

14. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Are you using a casting net to get the shad? Just wondering thanks

15. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    John, no, they're just washing up on the shore, they're "winter kill". The ice melts and they're struggling at the top of the water, the cold water gets'em.

16. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey Jim, I'm curious does it just have to be right after the ice thaws or is it just cold water? I'm thinking about driving around to the local fishing ponds and walking along the banks to find some. I know I've netted some at those places in the summer, and there hasn't been ice on these ponds for a week or so maybe... do you think I'll have any luck? I was out on the Walnut River today and the sonar said the water was 44 degrees, not sure what the temps in the ponds will be.

Also, when you freeze them to use as bait, do you make cut bait and freeze them that way or just freeze them whole? I imagine you use some of them for that "special recipe" bait in your big tub you showed me last summer:smile2:.

17. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Steve,
    Nice to hear from you again. Yeah, I freeze mine whole, I vacuum bag them in those plastic bags the newspapers come in.
    I can't really give you any advice on ponds or rivers, as I've not had any experience there.
    Here at Milford, when the cove ice would breakup/melt, the shad would start floating in.

18. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks Jim. I'm hoping to make more trips up to Milford this spring and summer. One of my good friends moved up to KC and we were thinking that Milford might just be the perfect meet in the middle place every once in a while. I also got a motor for the jon boat so we won't be puttin around with the trolling motor like we were last summer (or get towed when a storm rolls in):smile2:. Well anyway, I think I will try and find some shad on the banks of the local fishing ponds around tomorrow before it starts raining.

19. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I don't know. After a couple of weeks they maybe "SHAD SOUP". Won't hurt to look. Just bring a rod along, so the trip won't be wasted.

20. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    That post oughta have wore your fingers down past the nails:smile2: