Shad at night

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by goingfishin, Feb 18, 2008.

1. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    Has anyone ever gone out in the evenings and put a spot light on the water to see if it will atrack shad?

2. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    of course. That is how i use my cast net. I have a buddy use a spot light to get them jumping and then I throw the cast net. It works well!!!

3. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    i have a buddy that uses 2 lanterns to attract crappie then just drops a lure in and catches the bait for us. i timed him one night and he got 1 bout every 20 seconds. i reckin it'd work for shad.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have one of those floating 12volt lights it works real good for me.

5. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    CJ,yeah it works and is fun as hell seeing what else the light attracts.the smaller minnows usually comes first,then the shad and then whatever decides to come eat the shad.we have done it crappie fishing at night and was a lot of fun.i have 2 floating lights and 1 submersible green light,let me know if ya wanna borrow them.

6. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    CJ, sometimes coming back into the boat ramp at Curtis Creek, we'll shine the spotlight on the water just in front of the Catoon, there's be so many shad you'd think you could walk on them.:smile2:

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't use the light to attract them, but do use it to find them. They jump like mad when you hit them with the spot light. I just shine around until I see them jumpin, then either use cast net if I need bait, or fish where they are jumpin at.

8. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I have always heard tha lights will bring the crappie in but I did not know about the shad. Thanks for the tips guys. CJ