Shad as catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Cody M, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Cody M

Cody M New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hey guys, new here

Have read alot about using shad for channels and i am wondering where i can get some...

Do i have to catch it and if so how or can i buy it somewhere???

Thanks
    Cody

2. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I catch mine with a throw net. they are hard to keep alive though. you can buy packaged shad at walmart, I have never tried those though

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the boc cody , you might check yer area on here and see if any one gets shad near you and ask them how they do it , here in kentucky we use a castnet

4. blkhawkdwn

blkhawkdwn New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    welcome aboard Cody. a lot of us use Cast net of shad baskets to get shad. I use a castnet with a 5ft Radius also have one with a 4'ft radius. both are great for shad. most of the time i use the gut pocket from the shad

5. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    We use cast nets also here in Oklahoma. I'm not familiar with your neck of the woods so I would ask some local fishermen where they can be found. I have used the packaged shad from wal-mart but it didn't work for me. fresh is the best way to go.

6. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I catch mine with a cast net...... HHHAAAAAA, YEAH RIGHT!!!! I pull up an empty cast net every time. LOL! But seriously, yeah, cast nets are the way to go, the hard part for me is findin' em'. But, when you do find em' the cast net will be what you want. Hey, Skipjack is also a great bait and you can catch them on either sabiki rigs or little white grubs. If you're trying for skippies I'd try around any dams near where you fish. But my luck has been crap when it comes to finding bait so listen to these other guys before you listen to me. :wink:

7. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma

I find them here at Wal-mart. they carry anywhere from 3 to 6 footers.

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    In Wisconsin?

I wouldn't bet there are many shad up that way - more likely to find chubs and other "northern" bait fish. A chunk of chub ought to do just about as well as a chunk of shad, especially if they are the local forage base.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Shad makes good cat bait.

10. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    I use a 5ft throw net to catch mine. Like everyone has said talk to your local people and see what they would use.

11. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Cody.

12. THRowSOmeStink

THRowSOmeStink New Member

State:
    sedgwick, kansas
    welcome to the boc cody

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    First welcome to the BOC.2nd talk to the locol fisherman and see what they use for bait. 3rd save your money and don't buy the shad from WalMart.better off using the stink bait than buying that shad.Chicken liver is also good for Channels.Best of luck what ever you use.