Shad Around Lighted boat docks?

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by miichael, Jul 23, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Most the time I'm trying to catch my bait after dark. Will a lighted boat ramp/dock draw shad to the light? or would it need to be a green light to draw the plankton or whatever? A lot of times when I'm on a new lake i have a hard time catching shad. My home lake i can go below the dam and catch all i want but id like to be able to catch bait fresh wherever I'm at. Some places dont have a dam you can get to to catch shad.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

A lighted dock could attract shad if the light was bright enough. The light is what attacts the plankton and such. A crappie light would be bright enough to do the job as well as a lantern if the shad are around.

3. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    Yes, from my experinces any kind light will drawl them in..I suggest looking for lit up boat docks..just be sure there aren't people on it sometimes they don't take too kindley to fishermen casting nets right in front of their docks..but oh well nobody owns the water

4. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    At Pomma Lake one winter my dad and I were pulling an all niter at the "heated dock" fishing for crappie. As we were leaving in the morning, I noticed some shad in a slip dock, and I wanted to jar some up. I threw a perfect throw taking up the whole dock space.
    I could not haul it in!
    My dad had to help me bring it up!
    I don't believe you could fit another shad in that net!
    They were all 4 inch shad which I took 1 5 gal bucket full and released the rest.
    Docks lights made a believer out of me.

5. bigsmitty13

bigsmitty13 New Member

State:
    Texas
    We have a vapor light ran to the end of our boat dock, and have never had any trouble staying in bait. When I'm not at home setting a crappie light out seems to work well almost anywhere at drawing bait.