Shad are on the run now

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by litltman, Mar 7, 2008.

1. litltman

litltman New Member

State:
    ------
    good morning to all. I went to the old river on highway 52 between kingstree and st stephens yesterday morning. only took a few shad jigs with me. man were they tearing it up.I caught a cooler full of shad and hearing.had a blast.I put some in the freezer for bait. I think if the weathers clear I might go back on monday monday. just wanted to let you know they were running. have a blessed day.ps. total caught was 52. what a great day.

2. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    Thanks for the report Steve. Haven't seen you on here in a while.

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Thanks for the report.:smile2:

4. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Watch the limits - DNR likes to come out in the spring and check limits and license and life preservers and all. I think the limit on shad is 20 per person in the Santee and Rediversion Canal and 10 per person in the Cooper. Can someone tell me if this is right?

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    this is straight from the DNR Site.

American Shad, Herring
    Limit: 10 Shad per person per day except in
    Santee River and Rediversion canal (20 per
    person per day).
    1 U.S. bushel of Herring per person per day.
    Size: No size limit
    Seasons/Restrictions:
    • No closed season for recreational fishing with
    castnet or hook & line, including rod & reel.
    Skimbow nets allowed Feb. 1 through Apr. 3 0.
    Gill nets allowed as for commercial use.

6. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    I'm not sure how big a bushel is but that should plenty of herring for bait.

7. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the report!

8. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Is this something I could do from a bank somewhere? I am interested in catching these shad and herring, but no boat. It sounds like a blast to me for some reason so I'd like to give it a shot.

9. melstangman1967

melstangman1967 New Member

State:
    missouri
    have you had alot of luck cathing cat with schad and what else u use with it

10. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have never heard that term before with shad..on the run. Can you elaberate on that? What kind of rig are you using to catch them?

11. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    They run up river from the coast to spawn. And I believe a sabiki rig in one of the methods I believe. This is just my understanding of what is happening.

12. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    These are American shad, with blueback herring and some hickory shad mixed in (not to be confused with gizzard shad or threadfin shad - totally different species). They are anadramous fish, like salmon, that grow in the ocean, but come back to the river where they were born to spawn.

A lot of people fish for them in the Tailrace canal in Moncks Corner, SC because they pile up below the dam (to Lake Moultrie) as they try to migrate up river. The standard rig there for the shad is either one or two 1/8 oz jigs heads with 2" chartreuse curly tail grubs. Other colors will work, but chartreuse is the most popular. Depending on current and tackle, some folks also add a split shot or two to get the grubs down deeper. Personally, a single 1/8 oz jig and grub on an ultralight rod works great for me. These are real strong fish and a blast to catch!

The shad average about 1 to 4 pounds, but the herring are much smaller, maybe 10 to 12 inches. The sabiki rigs are more effective for collecting herring, but will also catch a few shad. Both herring and shad make excellent catfish bait. Some folks put some in the freezer to use later in the season.

13. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    i fish for shad at the tail race and have had very good luck. we caught 32 the other day and backed it up with 36. some are for bait but most are canned. for those who might be interested this is how to can shad.
    scale, fillet, and cut out the rib bones. cut into chunks and pack into pint jars. leave 1/4 head space in the jar. add 1 teaspoon canning salt and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. put jars in pressure canner and fill with water 2/3 up the 1st layer of jars. pressure cook for 1 hour and 40 minites.remove from canner and let seal. use it like salmon.
    GARY

14. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Okay I have been on here for a little while now and I always hear about this tailrace place. Is this something you need a boat to get too?

15. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Bill, i don't know of alot of places for bank fishing on the tailrace. we have been fishing at the dam and theres no place to bank fish there
    GARY

16. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC

Thats what I figured. Maybe some day I'll be the proud owner of a boat:sad2:

17. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, the tailrace at Moncks Corner doesn't offer much bank fishing, although I have seen some folks drive down by the railroad trestle on the north bank and fish from there.
    Another option is the rediversion canal at St. Stephen, just below the dam and sanctuary. It is accessible by turning off onto a road just north of the canal on US Hwy 52, go to a stop sign, turn right, and follow the road as it parallels the canal until you cross under a railroad, maybe 2 miles. As soon as you go under the railroad take the fork to your right and you will come to a parking area. Just hike across the dike and fish from the bank. There has been no release of water to attract the shad and herring as in normal years, but there will still be some there.
    Yet another option is to fish from the north bank of the old Santee river at US Hwy 52, about 8 miles or so north of St. Stephen. There is a boat landing there and some bank access. Hope this helps you a little. :smile2: