Shad - Anyone Using Them? How and Where Are You Catching Them?

Discussion in 'GEORGIA RIVERS TALK' started by diertae, Apr 15, 2006.

1. diertae

diertae New Member

State:
    georgia
    anyone using shad, if so where and how are you catching them?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Check out concrete walls where there's a current running along it. Below dams are usually good spots, but be careful.

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I just got a mess of fresh shad and will be trying it for the next few fishing trips

4. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Two of my friends caught an Ice Chest full on a concrete launch ramp yesterday morning just before daylight. One boat launched before they were through. It took a few minutes before they came back but they did. I am going to try again in the morning. This ramp is on the east side of lake with a rip rap break water running 100 ft into the lake on the south side.

5. cannady4

cannady4 New Member

State:
    il
    These are all very good spots to catch shad. I noticed no one told you how t get them. Well, you will need a cast net. It souds like you have never used one before. Might I say, go to wal-mart, and get a cheap 5' net, Learn how to throw it. Once you get good, then go to catfish connection and order a net that is bigger. It will take a little bit to get the hang of it, Wal-mart had one cast net that have vhs tape with the net that show you how to throw it. Lets us all know how you make out

6. diertae

diertae New Member

State:
    georgia
    I cast net for bluegill and use them for flatties and cut em up for blues, just never ran into any shad.