shad and skipjack at the steamplant

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by tncatfishing, Dec 19, 2005.

1. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well the shad and skipjack are running real heavy at the steamplant in cumberland city. Saturday morning I trying to catch small skipjack on a sabiki rig but was only snagging shad. I looked out in front of me in the water and they were thick just everywhere, so I tryed the cast net and got a good throw. When I brought it in it filled up a 5 gallon pail and then some. So I decide to fill my cooler and freez them for later. On sunday bluecatnut and I met up , the skipjack were running big time. We were catching them from a half poung up to 10+lbs, the big ones sure put a fight on a small pole. Bluecatnut took a 5 gallon pale home and so did I. It was so much fun to catch them I went back down to catch more , catch and released those.

2. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    That sounds like fun! I have only caught skipjack up to 1 1/2 lb and they were acrobatic. Do you know what the water temp was? It is in the 40's up here on the Mississippi. Congrats on a great day! I must plan a trip down there someday. Hannibal Mike

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Not sure on the water temp, Ill have to check that. But as you know it is gonna be warmer than in the rivers cause its a steam plant discharge. I would guess in the 50 degree range. It sure was fun.

4. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I know how you guys feel. When the hot water is being released here at our plant we can wrap up on most days. I have caught close to a hundred in a day. :D

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    LOL, Top last year Bob and I took a 3 hour drive down to Pickwick Dam when we were having so much trouble finding skippies here. We fished from about 7AM til about 11 or so. When we bagged them all up we had over 250 skipjacks, most in the 2 to 3 lb range. I'll be we lost as many as we caught that morning. It was a long drive home that day we were so tired and had sore arms from catching them. LOL

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Whistler have you been down to the steamplant lately in the morning? The skipjack are in abundance.

7. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    A ten pound skipjack? You sure it wasn't a striper?

My son said he caught a huge one at the steamplant the other day and got it on the bank but it went back in. He had a scale he said came off it and it was the size of a nickel.
    I looked up to see if they actually got that big and the state record for a skipjack herring is 4 pounds and it's also a world record. Y'all need to start taking those big ones up to the Busy Bee and get them weighed on certified scales so you can get into the record book.

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/FishRecTbl.html

8. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Trust me a skipjachk that is alittle over twenty inches long weighs more than four lbs, oh yeah by the way I do carry a weight scale in my tack box that also has a tape measure in it. Now the small striper that I caught went about five ponds and a few of the skipjack were a good amount bigger than them. Several weighed more than four pounds. Grumpy this 4 lb herring how long was it?

9. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    I posted the link to the records on the other post.

I'm sure there have been many skipjacks caught that would have broken the current record, but most people never think about it when they catch one.

Here's the link again:

http://www.state.tn.us/twra/fish/FishRecTbl.html

10. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I looked at the link some interesting reading. Maybe I am wrong, but man some of those skipjack were atleast twenty inches long. I always thought they did not get any bigger than shad but alot of them were. I will be out their this weekend again and get some photos if they are running again like sunday. Not trying to mislead or missrepresent anything.

11. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hey Grumpy I found a site over at http://seeinstripes.com/skipjack.htm they state the adult average size is 12 to 18 inches and they get over 20 inches long and more than 3 pounds, interesting stuff.

12. Nobody Special

State:
    TN
    My son said the one he almost got the other day was the biggest he had ever seen.

13. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    World record used to be almost 4 lbs. Biggest one we ever weighed was about 3.4 lbs on dig scale. Looked much bigger though. Glad to hear they're running so good. Might have to take some time and try to restock some.

14. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    mark the biggest sk was about 3 1/2 lbs not no 10 buddy

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Time to get a new weight scale, cuz the biggest I had I weighed when I got home. Could someone recomend a low cost digital. Of course Dusty you know what that means, maybe that blue you did weigh 19 lbs and maybe it didn't , I believe it did.