Shad and Herring: Catfish on the Rediversion

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Feb 8, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Someone recently pm'd me as to when the fishing would pick up on the Re-diversion Canal near St. Stephen. I accidentally deleted their pm, and can't remember who it was (maybe a GA member??). Anyway, the Fish lift http://www.dnr.sc.gov/fish/fishlift/fishlift.html is scheduled to start up this week, and that should make for improved catfishing on the canal. I've heard a few reports of American Shad being caught on light tackle, as well as some catfish. Whoever is interested in fishing there may do well to make plans and come on down.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Tommy, your posts are always filled with informative, useful information. I continue to learn a lot from you. Reps out yo you!

Bill in SC

3. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Thanks, Bill. The shad run has been a little sporadic so far, which is normal, but it shouild steadily pick up through March and into April. Last week there were some fair numbers being caught, but the weekend seemed to slow down some. Those cats like to hang out below the St. Stephen power plant and it can be pretty good fishing. I've seen them in the sanctuary area above the railroad trestle, and it's awesome! The folks at Arrowhead Campground would be the ones to call; don't have the number handy.

4. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Judy and I fished the rediversion this past Sunday for a bit. We were using cut perch and shad. It is still a tad to early for an active bite there, but we did manage to catch a 18lber and an 8lber. One was caught on a shad fillet and one was caught on a perch fillet. We fished the area above the damn about midways to the lake. We did see a few small baitfish moving around right at dark, but nothing to speak of. Both fish came in the middle of the day. With this warm weather staying with us for awhile the fishing there should just continue to pick up.

Arrowheads number is 843-567-3991 or 423-823-2886 very nice people there.

5. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    thanks for the post Tommy. I was the one asking you when the lift started up. I want to fish there but it is a long drive so I was hoping to get there when the odds were better to hook into something. We all appreciate the info you give us of the different areas.

Thanks, Joe

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Yeah, now I remember, Joe. Sorry I deleted the email, but by posting here I had hope that whoever it was would see it. Give it a couple of weeks and the fishing should be pretty hot by then. Good luck with your trip. :smile2:
    I love to fish there in March and April, but I am too busy during those months for the past two years, and don't get to go much.

7. scwolf

scwolf Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Just red a post on another site where they had caught a few Shad last Sunday on the rediversion, so they are starting to move up some