Shad and CO2

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by howard2119, Mar 30, 2009.

1. howard2119

howard2119 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i always see this fisherman at the lake and he always has live shad and i herd that he uses CO2 tanks some how to keep them alive longer. I was wondering if any of u guys might now how to do this?

2. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have never heard of that but i can keep them alive for about 4 or 5 hours. I just keep the water cold with bags of ice and i dont put very many in a tank. i also use shad saver u can get fron bass pro it works real well,

3. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    all you need is a oxygen tank and a regulator to cut the flow down. I use a 7 lb medical tank and a infant regulator.. with my regulator on its lowest setting I can use a tank for 3 to 4 days solid. or 5 or 6- 8 hr trips. can refill tank for 7 dollars and never have to worry bout battery dieing and losing bait or listening to a pump run. you can almost double your tanks capacity by using oxygen over a pump. a good diffuser is very important also you need a micro stone that puts out tiny bubbles that looks like a cloud in the water instead of large bubbles that rise to the surface in a hurry, you want them to saturate the water instead of going out the top of the tank. bait seems to be alot more frisky when you use them also.. if you ever try it I doubt you will go without it anymore. do a search on oxygen infused bait tanks and you will find all you need to know.

4. efrith

efrith New Member

State:
    Seale Alabama
    Don't forget to filter the water by filtering it the shad will stay alive a lot longer. If you get your shad from tail waters
    they will live longer anyway,because they have already purged themselves and wont do it in your tank.:wink:

5. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    whats one of them tanks gonna run a guy? i was thinking about that a while back, but no idea where to get one or how much.. how do you get it filled?

im guessing an old welding tank would work too.. that just came to mind... :eek:oooh:

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Sean,
    Read ronald's response, there is some good info in it.
    I can guarantee the gas in the tanks you have heard about is definitely NOT Co2!!!

Ronald,
    Is yours a medical air tank that has nitrogen and oxygen or does it contain pure oxygen? I don't know for sure but I have read that pure oxygen will "burn" their gills. Do you know anything about that?

Eddie brings up a great point that a lot of guys overlook. The first thing shad, when taken from slow water such as mudflats, do when put in a tank is to poop their pants (if they had pants). This purging will put a lot of dirt and ammonia into the tank water. Filtering will remove the dirt but the ammonia needs to be neutralized. There is an aquarium product called Amquel Plus that can be used for this, just add it to the tank water.
    Some guys put their fresh caught shad into a bucket or other container while they purge and then move them to their main tank thus keeping the muck and ammonia out of the main tank...W

7. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    I used a welding tank until I got the tanks I have now 2 7 lb tanks. the regulator I used on the welding tank is different that the one I got now and the settings on it wasnt as low. I had a friend get me 1 tank and regulator and I bought 1 tank from the welding supply house that I exchange them at for 28.00. when one gets empty I just go exchange it for 7 dollars. the guy has alot of people that uses them as customers so thats the only reason he keeps them filled. I did have to sign a waiver before he would exchange them for me stating that they werent for human use because the tanks are sterilized. but that doesnt matter anyway. yes they are pure oxygen and as far as burning the gills I have no idea I wouldnt think so because they use them in striper tubes to revive stripers during tournies so they can be released. the only fish that I have noticed that cant take it for more than a day or so is white perch no other fish seems to be bothered by it.

8. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    I used a welding tank until I got the tanks I have now 2 7 lb tanks. the regulator I used on the welding tank is different that the one I got now and the settings on it wasnt as low. I had a friend get me 1 tank and regulator and I bought 1 tank from the welding supply house that I exchange them at for 28.00. when one gets empty I just go exchange it for 7 dollars. the guy has alot of people that uses them as customers so thats the only reason he keeps them filled. I did have to sign a waiver before he would exchange them for me stating that they werent for human use because the tanks are sterilized. but that doesnt matter anyway. yes they are pure oxygen and as far as burning the gills I have no idea I wouldnt think so because they use them in striper tubes to revive stripers during tournies so they can be released. the only fish that I have noticed that cant take it for more than a day or so is white perch no other fish seems to be bothered by it.