Shad and catfish Tuesday March 24

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Some Hickory shad to be had. Four had the nasty little Lampreys on them. Went downstream and caught a 51 and a 22 at the first spot. Two 30's at the next stop. Off the river at noon. It was cold this morning. Can't decide if I am going tomorrow or not.

Check out the nasty mouth on one nasty little lamprey. I know all of God's creatures have a purpose but this is one gross varmit I just as soon didn't have to fool with. The horrible sore on the side of the Hickory Shad was something to see. I forgot to take a picture of that.

Attached Files:

2. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Nice pig! Was the fatty off the "big shad" you spoke of? It looks like that fish could definetly choke one down.

Congrats! As for the lamprey's, they give me the creeps:crazy:

3. starcraft72

starcraft72 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great catch!! Fish like that sure make them cool mornings Bearable! :wink:

4. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Congrats on the "pig"! WTG! Those lampreys are nasty creatures, for sure. I'm sorry, but that's one fish that I don't C&R...they all get the knife.

Congrats again.

5. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Yes, that lamprey looks right down devlish.

Those pictures got me thinking, so I went to wikipedia to find out if lampreys are like leeches, in that they secrete an anticoagulant into the wound of their prey. Sure enough, they do. I would also assume that, like leeches, lampreys release an anesthetic so that their prey cannot feel them.

Wikipedia also adds this little tidbit: "On 4 March 1953, the Queen of the United Kingdom's coronation pie was made by the Royal Air Force using lampreys. Especially in southwestern Europe (Portugal, Spain, and France), larger lampreys are still a highly prized delicacy." Wow!

Lampreys are considered invasive and should not be returned to the water. Happy eating! :eek:oooh:

6. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I ate at a Sushi Resturant in Paraguay with a buddy a few years ago. We had about every kind under the sun including sushi made from raw eel. The eel was every bit as good as the Ahi Tuna. I still ain't eating no blood sucker. The English are known for their unusual tastes in food.

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    That's a nice way of putting what I was thinking. My M-I-L is English and, my-oh-my, some of the stuff she trys to serve up is horrendous. :eek:oooh:

8. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the report kenneth great pitures.I had one of those blood suchers on a carp I caught out of a discharge on the ohio river they are nasty looking things.

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thats a nice looking cat that you caught there congrats on your catch, and I agree with you that thing had to be one of the ugliest things I believe I have ever seen.

10. cameron_krazie

cameron_krazie New Member

State:
    virginia
    Kenneth, I think you are using cat pics from last year... :wink: They are some nasty little buggers...