Shad-0, Goldfish-0,Asian Carp-4

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by just cats, Aug 16, 2006.

1. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Did an all nighter last night on the Missouri. Fished seven rods, half with cut carp the other with shad, both live and cut, and one rod with live goldfish. Caught a ten pound blue, two pound blue, and two channels around three pounds apiece. All fish caught on the carp. We were fishing the tip of a kicker dike and the bigger blue and both channels came out of the current and the smaller blue came off the slack water side. After midnight we had no bites except on the shad but they were gar bites I believe or very small cats. Couldn't hook them. Biggest blue came just at sunset , the rest were spread out over the next three hours. Also had another hard run on the carp but missed him. Gold fish was alive and healthy in the morning. My fishing partner was my grandson, six years old. One of the three pound channels was his and it is his biggest fish to date. He made it til 11;00 before he spread out his sleeping bag on the floor of the boat and gave it up.I should have done the same thing about that time.

2. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sounds like the carp are still doing the trick! I can't ever seem to catch anything on it! I am probably cutting it wrong or something. I always use them fresh....catch em and start fishing! How do you cut yours?

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    After fishing with the cut carp for about two weeks and landing a 60lber Monday night, I'm sold on the stuff for sure!

4. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    carp is all that I am using, would not use anything else.

5. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Big Blue, there is a thread on here called "Asian Carp on the Missouri, catching and cutting". In it there is a post by Cuz that tells how he cuts carp. He is talking about river carp but I started cutting my Asian's like that and it has worked out well for me,no big ones yet but it's outfishing everything else I try. Read his post and try it that way. I have also just cut it into one inch chunks before and that has worked too.But I like his way better. Don't give up on it, you'll catch the right night and tear em up one of these days.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    There ain't no magic to it - just hack the thing up and stick it on a hook!

Some believe the red meat puts out the most scent and oils; some leave the skin on (thus hiding the red meat). Some use big strips, others use random chunks.

But it seems that everybody's catching fish on asian carp right now. If you're not, I'd almost bet my boat that you're not catching anything on other bait either... :eek:oooh:

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Heres a link to that area talking about rigging and cutting the carps. Works on all species, and I'm seem to do better when rigging this way. Using large square chunks works great when the bite is on, but when the fish are finicky I think you have to be little bit more creative to dupe them. At least thats my experience. Sounds like everyone is starting to catch some fish and thats a good thing because its been a slow summer. Keep posting those reports, I love hearing about everyones catches. Cuz.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24525&page=2

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    just cats

Up here on the Ohio River in NE Ohio I get about 80% of my Flatheads on cut Shad and what I call the "Lite-Bite". Up here they ARE NOT small cats but just a mode that they go into here. When they are in this mode my hook-up ratio is @ best 10% and dang proud of it too!!