sexing flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by great pappy cat, Mar 5, 2008.

1. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I know you can see what gender any catfish is the same way you would check a puppy.Yes... by lookin at its genitals :eek:oooh:. I was just curious if there is another way to check a flathead? I can tell a channel cat by lookin at their head. The male's is thicker with meatyer lips the females are are thinner and more streamlined.

2. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Like you said Channelcats are pretty easy to tell. Males head is swollen and bumped up from hormones and they are dark in coloration. Females have a petite smaller head , retain there spots and tend to be lighter grey in coloration. Flatheads im not sure about. Have caught less than a dozen of them. Ive caught closer too 2 hundred Channelcat.

3. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    Sexing flatheads is illegal in louisiana

4. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Yeah, but how they gonna catchya way out there in the bayou??

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    That`s good stuff guys. LMAO!!!!!!

6. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    You might find some info on the thread "raising flatheads" below posted by GRIZ

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Is it true female flatheads are bigger than the males?

I have seen on show where people can tell the sex of the shark is by sticking your finger in thier butthole and feeling for the nuts. I'm being serious!

8. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have never noticed on way or other except many of the females I have caught were more green in color and males more yellow.Even though I think this is due to water conditons but who knows.

Some of these post bring to mind hearing of a male only squirrel season...

9. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    It would be interesting to know but I am not giving a fish a physical to find out. Man could you imagine if you were checking and marine patrol pulled up. LMAO, you might not be able to convience them of your actions.

10. BriankatCatfish1

BriankatCatfish1 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I was holding a flathead for a photo once...with one hand in it's mouth and my other hand supporting it's underside...my left hand slipped down a bit and my "middle" finger slipped up a hole.

Although I didn't feel anything, I had a hard time looking her in the eye while I was releasing her.

11. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Are you sure it was a female?

12. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Just wiggle a credit card at 'em. You'll be able to tell!!

13. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I have set out spawning containers in order to observe spawning cats. The bigger cats out of the spawning pair are always male. So the big girl is out the door for me, it's the big boy. Like in humans, deer, turkeys, chickens, squirrels, hogs, cows, and most all other competitive species. Unlike most other fish species, catfish are the nest protectors. Where most other species the female does all the work for ex. Bass. In catfish the male finds, fights for, and cleans the nest, then protects the young until their ready to leave the nest. The female just finds a partner and nest she likes and drops her eggs. Catfish are more on the lines of a predatory animal. In my observations and opinion males are the largest catfish. I have also noted that the head on a male fish is always bigger than the female. I believe that the larger head has the propose of offering more protection to the nest.

14. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    That makes sence. I never looked at it that way

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    one thing i never worried to much about. i can tell pretty well with channels. but unless im worried about releasing one swolen with eggs the rest taste the same.

16. rosscatman

rosscatman Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Aint that the truth LMAO.

17. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    wellfish do the oppisite of humans humansthe womenstay home and care for the kids and the men go fishing; male fish stay home and the females go fishing

18. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Eric--If you think male catfish are hen-pecked, you ought to check out mouth-brooders. In some fish, the female lays the eggs and leaves. The male picks up the fertilized eggs, and incubates them in his mouth until they are free swimming. Plus, they move back in if they get scared.

19. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Actually, in bass and all of the sunfish, it is the male that builds and guards the nest, just like with cats. Think about it, it is the big bull bluegills that sit on the nest, not the little females.

20. 50 Pounder

50 Pounder New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    The way to sex a Flat is to look at the "Vents" a male will have 2 holes and a female will have 3 but unless you've done this a lot it's still hard to tell sometimes.

As for the Channels, the male is not the always with the large head i've sexed some that had this look to them a found that they were in fact females.