Sexing Flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by beetle, Jun 29, 2007.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How can you tell if a Flathead is male or female? Can you tell at just a glance? I was just wondering...

2. Kittycatcher

Kittycatcher New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Te
    I really don't know, but I think that if you pull one out of the water and it keeps talking to you, that must be a Female, you can never get them to be ouiet, LOL!

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Do they head for yer wallet?

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    yes roger you can at a glance. it has to do withh the orfices but i cant remember the difference. ill contact fishgeek and see if he still has the pictures for ya.

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ok i got up with fishgeek,and he still has the pics. he said he will post pics and info soon.

thanks geekster! lol

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I'm gonna exercise some self control on this one. LOL! Good question!

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Let me start by clarifying that I'm not an expert in flathead sex, but it is pretty easy to tell the difference. Males have one hole & the girls have two. Also, I have a pdf file of a scientific paper that discusses how to tell between male & female channel cats. If you want that, PM me, give me your email address, & I'll send it out to you...copyright laws prevent me from actually posting the article but I have permission to give it out individually.

I posted these pics once before:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9159

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well thanks for the info on flathead private parts. I can't wait to tell the wife about this one.

9. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I just wondered because from time to time you hear people say thats a male or female, I just did not know if they were looking at color or fins or what. That is why I asked the question on a fishing site so I could keep out of the gutter with the anwsers.