Sexing a Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by stumpjumper, Mar 19, 2009.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I know that there have been threads on this topic in the past, but what the heck!

What sex is this Flathead?

Attached Files:

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i was tempted... but i will restrain myself.

3. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    almost positive its a female.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Let it loose bait!! LOL Female

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'd also say female, also if it complained when ya caught it its a female:smile2:

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Lenny, you better shut.....uh, I mean be QUIET! :wink:

That goofy stumpjumper's just tryin' to cause trouble! :smile2:

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Take it shopping. If it can't wait to leave the store it's a male. If it can't make up it's mind on which stink bait it likes better or complains of cramping or it gets emotional it's a female. If after you feed it it farts it's a male.

8. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Awwww' Give it a kiss and find out...

9. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I think that there is a web page that will show you the difference, it also shows the difference, between channels and blues ,I couldnt find it tonight but Ill search some tomorrow if yould like and let you know where its at

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Gary, he KNOWS the dadgum difference.....and YES, I am talking about CATFISH. He doesn't like countin' the fins though.

So far, this HAS been a rather amusing thread however. :smile2:

11. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Sexing a Catfish

Secondary sex characteristics are often used in sex determination. These characteristics include body shape and coloration. Males are usually larger and have broader heads than females. As spawning season approaches, males become lean, develop large muscular heads, and turn a dark bluish to black color.
    Females' heads are narrower than their bodies when viewed from the top. As spawning season approaches, they develop soft, swollen bellies. Their color remains gray to olive.
    Genital Examination
    Turn the fish belly up. Two or three openings are present. The opening nearest the head is the anus. The one nearest the tail is the genital opening.
    Males: The genital opening is at the end of a fleshy, nipple-like structure. This is called the genital papilla. It becomes swollen and rigid as spawning time approaches. Select the most robust males with a well-defined papilla, a large head, and dark color.
    Females: The genital area is oval and flat. There are two openings separated by a small flap of skin. A slit or groove is located at the head end of the genital area. The urinary opening is located at the tail end of the genital area. The genital area becomes swollen and reddish in color as spawning time approaches.
    Many researchers feel it isn't necessary to select brood females based on the reddish genital area. This character only indicates spawning time is near. They feel the swollen abdomen and genital body shape are the best characters for selecting brood females.
    For immature fish or fish not in spawning condition, use the following technique to determine sex (you'll need an assistant).
    Hold the fish belly up. Grasp the head with one hand and firmly clasp the tail with the other. With the fish's head just below your chest and the tail away from your body, gently arch the fish's belly upward.
    This causes the male's papilla or the female's genital slit to become more visible. Have your assistant slide a probe (or blunt pencil) over the genital area toward the tail. If the probe catches in the genital opening, the fish is female."​

Hoping this helps!!
    Mark..​

12. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I FEEL VIOLATED!:embarassed:

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I don't see no balls so it must be a female.:wink::smile2: