Sewer Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by X24, Aug 16, 2008.

1. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Slow fishing in the Loup Power Canal in Nebraska has caused me to start trying some new things lately.

Last few seasons the catfish bite was almost exclusively minnows. I caught around 18 eater-sized channels in a couple hours in one remarkable sitting and my PB channel at around 7lbs, but this whole season the bite has been....well not there at all :angry:.

The first thing i tried was fishing a small stream next to the Canal and that atleast gave me a little fun, catching bullheads and creek chubs. Tried both of them as cut-bait and live bait and neither produced a single thing.

The worst of it though is a few older guys that fish the same spots as me have been having some luck on cut-bait, but trying the same thing yielded me nothing at all.

Finally i went out and decided to try a new kind of dip bait, and the very least i could just use it for bullheads, so i debated on what to buy and ended up with Junnie's sewer bait. Instead of using a dip worm, I have just been using a treble hook with sponge on it, and It has been producing almost instant bites. But there's another problem, the only cats i can pull up with it have been at the most around 1/2 lb.

I know generally dip baits produce smaller cats, but i haven't caught a channel that has even been a full pound yet, but i know they are there, I've caught them in past summers and seen people take them this summer just about every night.

So basically this post is to just tell about my experiences. Sewer bait has worked excellently at getting bites, but just not anything of any size. And on top of that to ask for your guys's opinions on what i should try. Should i just throw out multiple lines, one with sewer bait so i can catch something and the others with something different to try to catch something bigger?

Anybody have any ideas of bait to try?

2. slinky

slinky New Member

State:
    ohio
    try leeches or shad they should work very well there for channels

3. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    I don't believe shad are found in the river the canal gets fed from, so they are out, and I've never tried leeches. I may have to give one of them a try if i can find one.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    try some bigger bait that the smaller ones would have trouble getting in their mouths.it is kind of weird that other people are getting them and your not.
    what do you do for a living,reason i ask is a was a mechanic.i used to get diesel and oil and grease on my hands.i used to have a lot of problems catching fish.i figured it out,my hands smelled like grease and oil and crap.i started scrubbing the heck out of them,and it helped a lot.just thought id throw that out in the wind

5. I wuld suggest using a bigger treble and sponge.
    I believe the bigger the bait the better your chances at a bigger catfish.
    Keep us posted.

sTRICTLY Catfish

6. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You might try Bowker's dip bait made in Crete,Ne. I have used it in Okla with good success or try nightcrawlers. Inow you have plenty of those in most peoples yard. What town are you from in Ne.?

catman george

7. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    I'm from Monroe, NE and I'm a student at the moment.

I've seen bowkers bait, but i didn't realize it was from Crete. I might have to give it a shot, heck the only reason i tried sewer bait was because i recognized it was made in Iowa.

So try a larger treble hook, OK I'll give that a shot. Maybe I'll also have to set some set lines along the canal with different baits to test some of them out. But i do suppose i have a whole day of fishing to check out whats working today.

At the very least catching some small cats is better then catching no cats though.

8. bgmik1313

bgmik1313 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Most of my luck this year has come from nightcrawlers. Biggest Ive caught is 5 lbs. and my 10 yr. old son matched that mark a few days later.

9. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    When you say sewer bait are talking about Cattracker Sewer bait?

10. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Yes cattracker sewer bait.

Seems to be working the best.

Threw out some chicken livers, shrimp, nightcrawlers, hogwild dipbait, cutbait, toads (couldn't catch frogs), and i forgot i had caught some grasshoppers otherwise i would have tried one of those.

got a couple bites on chicken livers, no fish to show for it through. Caught 3 channels the biggest at a little under a pound on Junnie's sewer bait, a friend caught 3 small ones on bee-jay's dough bait. Caught a drum on a nightcrawler and thats it.

Seems theres just a surplus of small channels and not too many decent sized ones this year.

Tommarow I'm making a trip into town and I'll pick up some sonny's or secret 7 dip bait along with some dip-worms as the one i tried today seemed to work a lot better then the sponges.

The sponges get bites, but it seems the fish just don't really like to take it, with the worms it seems the fish like eating it a little better.

So far what I'm working out:

Junnie's Sewer Bait - Excellent
    Hog Wild Dip Bait - No Good
    Bee-Jay's Dough Bait - Good
    Sponge dip hooks (?) - Fair
    Dip worms - excellent

Going to go out tommarow night and do some more trying with a few different baits, maybe actually set out some setlines and see what I can get.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. I would suggest you purchase some shrimp and soak it in garlics powder. After about one day of soaking this shrimp in a zip lock bag, go fishing and catch a lot of fish. Leave the tip of your hook exposed.:0a25::0a25::0a22:

12. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Mickey I'll definately give the shrimp and Garlic Salt a try.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Mike, welcome to the BOC/SOC :cool2:, best catfishing site on the web! Get some secret 7 dip bait and if the fish are there you will catch them in all sizes present. They will absolutely hammer this bait.

14. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Tried Shrimp and garlic salt already and not much luck.

I looked around for some secret 7, but didn't see any of it.

I think I'll give the shrimp and garlic salt another try and after that I'm sticking to the few prepared baits that have been working and some old fashioned night crawlers.

I did however pick up some circle hooks and dip worms although i think i need to find some looper rigs.

15. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Well sewer bait reigns supreme again.

Worms, shrimp, livers, cutbait all had 0 success out there yesterday.

The scoreboards:

Junnies Sewer Bait: 3
    Catfish Charlie's Blood b: 1
    BeeJays dough: 2

actually should have had two more, lost the hook with BeeJays on there, it looked like the line snapped but it was 12lb braided spiderwire so I'm guessing the knot just came out or something. The other was due to a bad hook set i believe.

16. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    I'm starting to get a real feel for my favorite prepared baits for situations.

Instant action: Junnies sewer bait - seems if there are fish anywhere in the area you'll get one quickly with it.

When fish aren't biting so much: BeeJay's - hasn't let me down yet, just have to leave it out there long enough, but it doesn't produce quite as quick of results as the dip baits.

2nd pole usually: Premo blood bait with garlic salt mixed in - Tried it the other night with no success, added garlic salt and now tonight caught 3 comparatively larger channels.

When i say comparatively larger, I've caught probably 15-20 channels the past month all under a pound on Sewer bait and beejays, tonight caught 3 1-2lb channels on the premo compared to 4 under a lb on Sewer bait.

I still have to try a few different baits, but thusfar these 3 have outfished everything. Only other bait that has even managed to catch a fish is Catfish Charlie's blood bait. Caught 1 channel.

Thus-far goose egged: Minnows, Creek Chubs, toads, fresh cutbait, chicken livers, hot dogs, shrimp with garlic, hog-wild dip bait.

I just have to pick up sonny's, secret 7, bowkers and I'm going to try some grasshopers.

17. buckeyecat

buckeyecat New Member

State:
    ohio
    It may be the presentation of these baits.
    Are you Fishing off the bottom? If so what kind of set up?
    Or are you using some type of float?