Setup: Slip bobber rig

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by mailhiker, Feb 23, 2007.

1. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    I am going to use slip bobbers on a local lake for flatheads. As I understand it I should have an egg sinker below the bobber. What size? Will be using live bluegills. I have purchased weighted bobbers. Is this correct, because today I saw large unweighted slip bobbers. How do you use these. One last thing, I have heard of a rig that uses a small round bobber that is used to keep your bait off the bottom, while your weight is anchored to the bottom. Anyone use this. What type of situation? Thanks ahead for any replies. The BOC always comes through.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky

Attached Files:

3. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    "One last thing, I have heard of a rig that uses a small round bobber that is used to keep your bait off the bottom, while your weight is anchored to the bottom. Anyone use this. What type of situation?"

standard Carolina rig, assuming leader is about 2 feet or so long, put a small float (cigar, cork, peg type, etc.) about six inches from the hook. Can be used fishing anchored or drifting (weight tends to vary). I fish the carolina rig with and without a float, let the fish tell me on any given day if they like it on the bottom or off the bottom.

4. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    If I were going to use live bluegills under a bobber I think Id have to give the Katbobber a try. Its a product from a sponsor and member here on the boc, they look to be great for big baits.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    All good advice here.I use a slip bobber 85% of the time and love fishing that way.I'm wanting to try a katbobber this season,I've heard nothing but good things about them!

6. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Most of the bigger weighted bobbers sound like a flat rock when they hit the water, so for that reason I prefer not to use them. I use three types of floats, cat bobbers, pear shaped, and cigar type all non weighted.

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25141

Give this a look Mike. Also I have found that a pin float on your leader to keep the bait up off the bottom is quite productive. The floats are generally egg shaped. Ya slide the leader through it, put it about 4 inches back from the hook and then use the small plastic pin that comes with em to anchor it in place. Works like a champ when fishin a carolina rig. Hope this helps.