SETTING YOUR DRAG ???

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by LEROYDOZOIS, Jan 18, 2010.

1. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    EVER SINCE MY 1ST BAIT CASTER IVE BEEN SETTING MY DRAG BY HANGING WHAT EVER 1/4 OF MY LINE WT IS OFF THE END AND SETTING IT TO SLIP RELITIVLEY QUICK..... IM NOW LOOKING INTO CPR TACKLE AND IM DEBATING WHAT REEL SETUP I WOULD LIKE TO GET....... AT ONE TIME IVE POSTED (DRAG WT ??) AND I WAS GETTING SHOCKING ANSWERS ABOUT HOW LIGHT SOME SET THEIR DRAGS

FOR ME ITS ALTEAST 10 LBS.....40 LB LINE.....STOUGHT ROD.....

SO........ ANYONE HAVE ANY INPUT ABOUT HOW THEY SET THEIR DRAG ???I.E. (LETTING THE POLE LOAD UP GOOD BEFORE THE DRAG SLIPS )

JUST LOOKING FOR INFO HERE (CASUE I FORGOT THE LAST OF IT):clap:

2. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I set my drag at about 4 lbs straight out of the reel. There is about 10-12 times the drag from the rod. If I need to horse em out of trees I'll thumb the spool as needed. I'd rather need to tighten the drag than have a big fish surprise me and break my lines. Hope this helps.​

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont make it to complicated with lbs of drag and such on my abu baitcasters...I just tighten it down for the hooks set, and back it off a little once the fish is on.

On a big fish I might adjust my drag many times on the fight.

4. bobbybobber

bobbybobber New Member

State:
    wv
    i dont know how many pounds of pull i use,i have mine set to where i can pull it easy at the reel

5. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have no idea how my drags are set. I like to keep them relaxed. I just set them by pulling out the line from th spool. I always have my thumb close to the star drag while fighting the fish. I will loosen and tighten the drag as many times as necessary while landing the fish. Good luck.

6. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I keep mine at about #15.If I need more,I just use my thumb on the spool like others have said.

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    15 LBS IS WHAT ILL SET MY NEW REEL TO.....KINDA WHAT I WAS SHOOTING FOR IN THE 1ST PLACE :):pray:

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    What model reel you useing? I'm more of the fan of kiss "keep it simple stupid". I set my drag by hand if it takes me a little bit of effort to pull the line out then it's tight enough. If the fish is small it's not getting any but if it's 10 pounds or so it can take drag.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I like to pull on the line with one hand, with my other hand on the rod so I can see how much the rod bends before the drag takes over.

10. Cuda

Cuda Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Mike
    I use a scale at about 25 feet and set my drag at 12# using 30# braid. If I need more I can tighten it but works for a start without breaking. With braid you do not need a hard set for a sharp hookup. I use 30# braid on most of my poles 50# braid on my heavy poles. I use 12# ans 15# braid on my bait poles you never know what will bite. We were catching bait one day and the guy I was with had a 10# northern grab the fish he had on. So I use braid because it is thin and casted better. And I set all of them with a scale so that the drags are not to tight.

11. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I just pull line straight out of my reels till it feels tight enough to set the hook, never have used pounds to set the drag. Then I use my thumb or star drag once hooked. I will say I have forgotten to set the drag after storing my reels for a long period of time. It did result in a fish not being hooked.