Setting Up Snares

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by TX Fisherman, Mar 9, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i know you supposed to set up a snare with a rebar steak but i cant keep the loop off the ground? how are you supposed to set up snare? and if possible i would like to attach one to a high fence (game fence)

2. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I am no snare man by a long shot, but you don't have to support it with rebar. I have done it with a split stick. My partner did it this year with #9 wire wrapped around a stake. Drive the stake in the ground and then put the wire where you want it. He did have these little rubber tubes on the snare though.

3. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

theres about a million ways to set up a snare it really depends on the situation. i never use rebar way to heavy for the volume i run. i use alot of cable stake or i will just tie off to trees that are near by.as far as supporting them i use 11 gauge wire sometime i double it over and put it in the ground or i will take a peice and put it on a stick that i have cut to the height i want and put the stick in the ground and use the wire to support it through the wammy(support collar)

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
  5. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    actually i just figured out my problem :big_smile: it was that i need some pig tail supports, i was going to buy from the snare shop, $7.00 for a dozen, but the shippind was more then the pigtails them selves, i was wondering if any body knew what to make the pigtails out of??? and i decided to start making my own snares, gonna use some aircraft cable from home depot and some bent washers as locks..(thanks for the info justwannano). THANKS FOR THE HELP

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Glad to help.

The site Beetle told us about has a good picture of a completed snare.

Good luck
    just

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Hey cuttingout69

Tell me about those little rubber tubes.

Hey warcraft1975

tell me about the collar support Its called a whammy?

Always seems to be something to learn about trapping. I just love it

:big_smile:

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

they are serve the same perpose the rubber hose support collars(aka wammys) are for supporting the snare.wire is put into it and this helps hold it up off the ground