setting up a new kayak

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by tdheater, Jan 12, 2008.

1. tdheater

tdheater New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got an ocean kayak last fall after liquidating some other junk, wifes rule, get rid of one toy before getting a new one. Anyway, I am fixing to start setting it up for fishing and wanted some experinced input on what I need and what is a waste. My philosphy is the simpler the better, less stuff to go wrong. The main thing I want is a fish finder and anchor system but I haven't fished out of it much so I don't know. Thanks.

2. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Welcome from NE Florida. I am a Kayak fisherman and have a fishfinder (black and white screen, color uses more battery power), anchor trolleys (front and rear, right side only), rod holders, and a milk crate for storing "stuff". There are several "Kayak fishing" sites where you can get much more info.
    I use a rechargeable 7 Amp hour home security system battery . They are sealed to prevent leaking and will run a FF for several trips before recharging.

3. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome to the BOC, Tobey!

I purchased a preconfigured fishing kayak which has served me well.

I catfish almost exclusively from the two recessed rod holder behind my seat.

I have a Scotty rod mount on the front console, but I only use a light rod and spinners for crappie and bream while trolling for the cats.

A good anchor system is essential for lakes. Right now I only have a front-anchor deployment, but will probably attach a full anchor system this year.

I also purchased a fish finder but have not had the opportunity to install it yet. If I were you, I would get the rods in place and get comfortable with fishing before worrying about the electronics.

A good seat and comfortable PFD are not optional.

4. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Good advice Jeremiad, seems like every time I install a new gadget without a float test before hand I end up having to move it. I either can't reach it, or its poking me in a sensitive spot. :confused2:

5. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
  6. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Heres another one "jaxkayakfishing.com" the Georgia boys (Post above) and us share almost everything