setting up a live well

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by bigBB, Jan 10, 2008.

1. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    i had some questions for you guys.. i am going to setup a small live well/ bait well in my jon boat. it has an existing gravity fed live well that i want to convert into one one i with pumps etc. I'm pretty clear on what i need as far as the pump to bring what into the tank etc. But what do i use to pump the water back out? Just a submersible bilge pump? I've looked around the net and haven't seen anything that seams like it is specifically for this purpose. thanks in advance for your help.

2. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Try bass pro website and do a search on live wells. A bildge pump will work, just remember keep it simple to keep the cost down.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    You can simply make a over-flow hole at the desired depth you want and it wont cost you any thing except for a fitting and a short piece of hose.

4. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Sorry I also wanted to add, yes a submersible pump will work hooked to the over flow if you are wanting to pump it out instead of gravity alone.

5. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    thanks guys, yeah i was wanting to be able to pump the water out with out using the gravity plug etc. i was planning on having the overflow so that is a good idea to just connect the pump to that to empty.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Dunno if I can explain this right, but I'll try. I use a cut down 45 gallon barrel for a bait well. I put a 90 degree fitting on the outside of the bottom and a stub-up through the bottom of the inside of the tank. To get water to it, I put in a regular live well pump through the transom and ran plastic tubing with a small piece of PVC pipe on the end to where I put my bait well. On the inside of the well I made a piece of PVC about 2' long with an aerator nozzle and just stuck it into the PVC stub coming up through the bottom of the well.

When I have the well in my boat, I insert the piece of PVC on the end of the hose from the pump into the 90 deg. fitting on the bottom of the well and when I turn the pump on, it runs water through the piece of PVC with the aerator cap and fills the well. If I'm in a hurry to fill it, I just pull the 2' piece of PVC out and run the pump and put the pipe back in when it's full. When I want to empty it, I just pull the 2' piece of PVC out of the well and it drains back through the hose, out the pump, and into the water.

When I don't have the well in my boat, I just coil up the hose from the pump and it lays in the bilge till I need it. Not sure if thats kind of the setup you already have since you said it's gravity fed, if so, I just got a lot typing practice, anyway:wink: Good luck with it!

Branden