Setting trotline in deep Ohio River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by catpound, Jun 7, 2007.

1. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have always set trot lines in smaller rivers and had good succes while doing it. I like keeping the trot line tight that way nothing is getting tangled and turning into a mess. In the smaller rivers it was easy to tie off on a stump and put a cynder block across the channel.

But setting in the Ohio River takes much more skill because of the depth of the water. We have tied off on a stump but the problem comes when we drop our weight in 50 ft of water. It is difficuilt to check the line without pulling the weight up and getting it tangled. I know some people look down on trot liners but I love it and it is still alot of work.

I want to know the best and easiest way of setting in this deep water. How to check and rebait without causing a disaster in the line. Thanks fella's.

2. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    The easiest way would be to tie off one end... Put a smaller weight in the middle.. Then run trotline downriver and tie off other end.. The ohio is too big and too much current to run to deep water.. You can run trotline every couple hours that way all night long..

3. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Run about 100ft of bare line past your last hook out to the cynder block. That way you can get to the last hook without pulling up the block. It works for me.

4. catpound

catpound New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks fellas, I like that idea turkey22. I was thinking about having a water bottle tied on a few feet after the last hook then having a sash weight after that. Then doing like you said and having a cynder block tied on about 100 ft from the sash weights and pull the cynder block tight before dropping it. By setting this way i'm hoping it will allow me to start at the tie off at the stump, pull up the trot line/all the hooks and the water bottle and sash weight but leaving the cynder block on the end on bottom without pulling up that big lug of a weight.

Confusing? it might work:roll_eyes: