setting traps?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by River_monster91, Dec 22, 2007.

1. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    got another stupid question lol. i was wandering if there was any easier way to set the conibears i got. they take quite a bit of Umph to set em. aint saying i cant do it, its just pretty dang hard to set em by your self. i heard some people talking about a trap setting tool or something like that. anyone know of something like it? any help would be apreciated. thanks

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

they make all kinds of setting tools for them . most are farly cheap and easy to use.all can be bought from trapping supply dealers. there is a way to do it with jsut a peice of rope also. i have never done it but have seen it done. pretty easy

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
  4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Gary,I was just trying to think of a way to explain it to Donnie ,I used to use a rope with mine ,It works pretty good .

5. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    a setting tool looks just kinda like a big scissors kinda and you just pinch down the jaws wit that

6. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Actually you use the rope on the springs.
    Its a good idea to carry the rope with you anyway.
    Any of you new guys thought about what you are gonna do if you get your hand caught? Not really funny. It can happen

Pretty hard to open a sprung conibear with one hand.
    That 4 foot length of rope might just save you a long long wait for someone to find you.--or worse.

think about it
    just

7. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Speaking of that I got my thumb caught in a 220 last night. Shure dont feel very good. Was lucky the other side caught some jeans & shirttail. That rope trick looks pretty slick. Gona have to give it a try

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

could even get one of those fancy one hander jobs for that. once i had to wear a 220 home on my hand what i wouldnt have gave for that one handed setter that day

9. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I've never set one bigger than a 110, no need for tools on that one. Wish I could offer more wisdom. Good luck.

10. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    We always have trap setting contest at our annual trapping conventions..Some one usually puts in a conibear with a waxed trigger..as soon as its set it will go off...:smile2:
    one year at the NTA convention there was a guy there who could set a 330 in less than 3 seconds..it was amazing to watch....

11. dledinger

dledinger New Member

State:
    NC
    Stick your trowel in the ground blade first...set one spring eye over the handle and press down. If you can find use a beaver stump even better.

Or....rope, or setters.

Set the springs before you leave the house to make your sets quicker...

12. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    setting tool is a really easy way to set 330's. I made my own set a little lonnger than ones u may purchase.