Setting the hook

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by mmagreg, Jan 26, 2010.

1. mmagreg

mmagreg New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I've always wondered about setting the hook. I see a lot of talk about using different types of lines for leader due to hook setting preferences, and i always see people fishing for channels grab their pole and set the hook on a bite.... In my experience if i just wait for the rod to seriously bend and jump then i know i have a hook set fish on the line and can pick up and reel em in. The same seems to be with carp. Occasionally i might lose one when beaching them, but not very often.

Anyone care to weigh in on this?

2. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I do both. I let them hook themself and I set the heck out of the hook. I use circles and kahles. I will wait until the rod bends and then whip the hook into them. If you use mono you should be setting the hook to burry it into the fishes mouth. Take a hook and put it into a piece of cardboard, back away 50 ft and set the hook whimpy and you will see what I am talking about. The fish guys dont set the hook on who use circles and kahls are missing fish. They dont always grab it and run like heck. A flatty wont even hardly move it sometimes. You have to be willing to do both. Neither method is sure fire. Sometimes you got to work for them and sometimes you dont. If use always set the hook a little atleast then it will burry the hook. Less fish will get off. Plus you never know what directions a fish is swimming with your bait either. There are numerous reasons I can think of to set the hook. If they bend it and hook themself great! BUt I am gonna make sure. You wont rip the hook out unless you use braid. Then you just have to loosen your drag.

3. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    If I see the rod tip bouncing, I pick up the rod, reel in the slack, and wait till I feel tension, then I set the hook - hard. If I am using circle hooks, I do the same, only I don't jerk the hook set - I simply increase the presure until I have a good hook-set.

4. Ed1

Ed1 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I think it depends on the style of hook you are using as to how you set the hook. I personaly like khale hooks for channel cats.You can set the hook or let the fish set the hook. For flatheads and live bait I seem to use large j hooks more often and have to set the hook with them. As for circle hooks I can't say from experience due to never realy giving them a fair try.

5. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I don't always set the hook. Sometimes I just pick up my rod and real them in. I only use circles so most of the time they hook themselves. Every now and then I have to set the hook.

6. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    If i see the rod tappin then i usually pick the rod up and set when i feel something when using standard j hooks. If iam using circles hooks i will wait till my rod has a good bend in it before i grab it.

7. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    the size of my bait plays a big role in me setting and when. if i am using a large bait i will give them time to take it then cross their eyes. i have switched to circles, so when i feel them taking a run i just start reeling while giving a swift but steady pull until i feel the hook set. biggest thing i have found with circles is to tight line them, not leaving slack in the line.

however when i used/use J hooks, i think the same is true. i try to get all the slack out as often as i can. that way when i set the hook i can bairy it good. i have found though that there is no need to "over set the hook" as long as the slack is out. i have broken 50# BBG by setting the hook to hard. there is no need for that. a cat doesn't have that hard of a mouth, you just need to jerk hard enough to get the hook through the bait and into his jaw.

8. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I run J hooks with my clicker engaged. When a channel or any catfish starts moving off with my bait i pick up my rod right away. Hold the rod in my right hand i use my left hand to turn the clicker off. I lightly keep my thumb on the spool to allow him to run free, i then engage the reel with my left hand then put it on the fore grip i then let the rod load till i feel strong pressure then i set.

9. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Well it depends on the hook, if you are using a dip tube & J hook I take up any slack and wait till I feel good presure then give a decent tug to bury the hook. when i am using cut bait I use the Circle hooks, no nedd to really bury it cause they usually got it in good to start with, just give it a 45 degree sweep, nothing to extream, usually i am bobber fishing so by the time the bobber goes down they got burried already.

10. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Active Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Rule of thumb is when they pick up a regular j or kahle hit em. With braided line you don't have to set as hard but with mono you need to hit them a bit harder.

With circle hooks when the rod is bent the fish is hooked just pick it up and reel.

If we were talking I could go on and on about this subject but that is the down and dirty of it.

11. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    ONLY THING IS I LET THEM RUN A BIT BEFORE I CROSS THEYRE EYES.....

LOST BARLEY NONE OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS.....

LOST ALOT THEN I TRYED TO LET THEM SET THEMSELFS WITH KAHLES......

OH AND I USE BARBLESS TREBLES :)

LeRoy

12. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    If i use circles..I just let the rod "Load-up" and point the rod tip at the fish then just start reeling...When i use kahle's which i think is all i will use this year if i see a few little tugs like a drum or channel cat hit..I get ready and when it startsgoing faster i pick it up and point it at the fish then when i get a few more little pickups or a run i will set the hook..

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    No matter what hook or rig I am using, I double set.

Once I feel them on, they get another right good pull.

14. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    Just remeber to losen your drag a bit if you are using braided line, cause it has virtually no stretch, that way you won't snap off your set up. Always use a mono or floro leader with braid.

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I need to go "back" to my old style of fishing for channels. When I was in my 20's,I rarely missed any . My secret was to fish with the bail on my spincast 909,or 808 Zebco "off" let them run off about 10 yards or so,then when the first run stopped,I'd strip off an arms length of line,set the bail. When they hit the end of the slack,I'd set the hook. Wonder why I stopped fishing that way??