Setting the Hook with Kahle Hooks?

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by Katmaster Jr., Aug 16, 2006.

1. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I recently started using Eagle Claw kahle hooks, and love the "King Kahles" in 10/0. And I was just wondering how everyone that uses Kahles sets the hook. I have had good success so far just getting my line completely tight and giving a small sturdy hook-set. But if my line doesn't get all the way tight I don't get a good hook-set. We drift sometimes and might not be able to engage the clicker on the reels, can you use Kahles like Circles and just let the rod holder take care of business? I like using the clicker myself, but when drifting I guess you can't sometimes.

Thanks,

Zakk

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I drift and use Kahles, though mostly in the 4/0 and 5/0 size as the fish I catch range from 2-7 lbs. My lines stay fairly tight, except for the one or two I'll fish under a float. When a cat takes the bait, I flick my wrist and the fight is on. But, I also reel in now and again only to find a cat has taken the bait and the hook has been set. For my float lines, however, I've gone to large stick foats and 7/0 Gamatsu circles. The floats rest on their side when cast out, then when the fish takes the float under, I let him go until he puts a good bend in the rod and start reeling in.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the info, when we drift fish we use Bobbers mostly this time of year, we catch a lot of nice fish on the bobbers, but it seems it's always hard to get the line tight with a bobber and I have trouble getting the hook set good sometimes, maybe it's the smaller fish I miss since I use a 10/0 mostly. I have tried Circles and maybe they just aren't the hook for me or something.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I like to break their neck with em. Kahles is all I use.

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I'm definitely with Tea on this one. I try to jerk a half-hitch in thier butts. Seems like while fishing from the bank, I just let the fish "take" the bait then set the hook hard and fast. When this happens, it's game over for that fella.... he's comin' to the bank.

6. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I tighline Kahles like i would a Circle when I use them, but when the rod goes down I try to pull his tail out of his mouth.

7. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Thanks for the input guys. I have a pretty good hook-up ratio, but always am looking for ways to possibly improve.:roll_eyes:

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dude, I tried those King kahles this year, I caught 3 fish on them and everyone was hooked on the outside of the head, strangets thing I have ever seen.

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Man that is weird. I've done that before but rarely like less than 1% of all fish i catch .

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I tried the 10/0 King Kahles and decided I didn't care for them....but the Eagle Claw Stainless Kahles come with a SUPER sharp point and seem to retain them...OUTSTANDING SUCCESS! 8 out of 10 hook themselves on the Stainless versions so far...using sizes 5/0 and 6/0 I think...also had good success with the chromed 7/0.

11. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah that is weird. I have had some small cats where the hook did that, but I ate them anyway. The bigger ones 8lbs or more have always got the hook in the corner or bottom of their mouth.

Ken, those hooks are great, but Stainless steel hooks will not rust if you have to cut one off in a fishes mouth or something, and usually they cost alot..lol

12. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    To answer your question, Zakk, the kahles can be fished either like a circle, or like a 'J' hook. I normally let the fish hook themselves, when drifting. If anchored I may do the same, or, I may set the hook like a j-hook. Either way works fine, but I tend to fish them more like a circle. I like the kahle because of the wide gap when using live or cut bait while drifting.