Setting the Hook with a baitclicker

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by KSflatheadKING3511, Mar 27, 2007.

1. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    when my baitclicker starts to click and i let the fish run, before i set the hook should i close the bait clicker or let him hook himself?

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

The way I do it is I'll let him pull the clicker for a few seconds,crank the handle once and cross its eyes.Then I'll slide the clicker button off and fight him in.I use j-hooks and khale(sp) hooks.If you use circles,let the fish load the rod up himself,no jerking the rod.
    Hope this helps some!

3. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Bingo. I slap that reel handle & engage the reel, then I nail him. Nothing earns a enormous hook-set from me like hearing that baitclicker going off. I really dig that stuff.:cool2:

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I lay my rods flat on a table on the toon. When a fish runs I'll thumb the spool and set the hook. Imediately after I set the hook I disingage the clicker and then turn the handle.
    If I am using rod holders then I'll engage the reel - set the hook, and as you are taking the rod out of the holder you can dis-ingage the clicker.

5. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I also fish with my rods lying flat. {less resistance} I put my thumb on the spool and set the hook then turn the handle....then turn the clicker off...There is different ways to do it..really you need to know them all:tounge_out:

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    Well it seems that everyone agrees that it depends on the situation as how you're using your rods, either laying down flat or in a holder. We all do it about the same way.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    i recommend getting in the habit of turning the handle to engage the spool, then clicking off the baitclicker, then setting the hook. I have lost lots of fish because i set the hook before engaging the spool.

8. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    with bee ready rod holders, the rod is flat and pointed at the bait while it is in the rod holder, you can crank the handle (engage the drag) and set the hook, with it still in the holder, all in one basic motion.
    did the thumb thing for a while, got tired of the blister's, but to each his own. :big_smile:

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    The thumb method will cost you fish if you are using rod holders. But when laying flat you can set the hook a lot faster by thumbing the spool.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    When I bottom fish, I tight line and wait for them to hit the pole, I dont use a clicker but thats just me.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    When you clicker goes off,

1. Pick it up.
    2. Turn the handle to lock it.
    3. Let it load up.
    4. Yank as hard as you can.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    As soon as I can pick up the rod when it clicks, I do so gently, tilting the rod toward the fish. I turn the handel and ride the freespool button up with my thumb so it doesn't make a loud click and send vibrations back down the line. After this is take the clicker off. ( its more for reducing wear than anything else) Then I let the fish load up the rod (this makes him close his mouth as he feels the bait slipping/escaping) Then set the hook. If he drops the bait or you can't feel him anymore put the clicker back on push the freespool button and set the rod back down for atleast 10 min before checking the bait. Alot of times they will kill a bait that has been annoying them then back off to inspect their handiwork then move back in and eat it. If you reel in right away you will be missing fish.

13. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    This is one of them (This happened to me) What ever you do, Weather to be engage the reel or thumb the spool make sure you do it before you set the hook. LOL... If you don't you will have a mess. I tried for about Min to get the bird nest out of the reel , finally I got out the old trusty pocket knife and cut all the line out of my real. I always new there was a reason I carried that extra spool of line with me in my bucket.

14. HoFFmaXX

HoFFmaXX New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That helps alot. I never woulda thought about the vibrations from my engaging of the reel, and i prolyl owuldve reeled in after he drpped it the first time.

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Most of the time I'm fishing under very quiet conditions along the bank in 8ft of water or less, with my bait only 50 ft or so from the boat. Large old fish know if something is off. If they hear you talking, dropping stuff in the boat, banging your rods aginst the sides stuff like that, you will never catch them consistantly. Sometimes I could swear they can feel my heartbeat coming down the line as well, cause they will not pick that bait back up till I set the rod back down, then wham they blast it. I never "jerk" the rod when picking it up. Gently, I don't want that fish to know I'm even there till he commits to moving off with his prize lol. Works for me.