Setting the hook properly

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by e'villeman, Nov 27, 2007.

1. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    I've noticed the bites i get on the river the tap the bait alot , the question i'm getting at is do i try and hook them or should i wait till they really load of the pole? i use "J" hooks not circle. All input is accepted

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I would wait until the pole loads up. If it doesnt, chances are its a scaley fish messing around with it. The one thing I have noticed is when the rod tip goes down and then starts bouncing good, set the hook...FISH ON!.

3. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Roger, can you tell us what kind and size of baits you are using, size of hooks, type of rig (ie.. Carolina, 3-way,fixed). I have found the Carolina type to be useful in most situations. That's a hook,then a 13inch leader,then a swivel, then on the top side you put on a sliding type sinker then a bead of some kind (to protect the knot from the sinker), then tie that to the open end of the swivel. Now you can pull the swivel back aginst the sinker (and feel this thru the rod), You know exactly how far your bait is from the sinker, and when a fish takes the bait, (if you have a reel with the clicker on and in free-spool) He will pull line thru the sinker and never even know it's there. Just pick up the rod and put a finger on the line and "FEEL" for a bit. You will feel that fish pick up your bait, maybe even feel the sinker lift off the bottom. Just try setting the hook when you feel a good tug and see what happens. If you miss then let them tug a little harder etc... The main thing is to have the slip set-up, where they can pull line thru the sinker without feeling it till its too late. hope this helps.

4. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    the fish i caught sunday werent tappin ... they were slammin the rods ... i usually let them tap it for about 2 to 3 minutes then i pick up the rod and maybe move the bait about 2 or 3 inches and let it set .. acts like a wounded fish ... ive enticed fish to bite that way .. if its a hungry fish it will pick it up and run with it.

5. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Using 50lb. mono trying both carolina and slip sinker method "#5 and #6 "j" hooks and weights from 2oz. to 6oz. depending on current that day. Also using Zebco's 888 and 606 atm but slowly getting big spinning reels, all that weights just kills the gears it seems (guess Zebco's for panfish no matter what size you buy). I havent tried a Baitcaster lately but memory reminds me of Huge! birdnest..lol.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I cant imagine using anything other than Baitcasters, like the previous poster said, bird nest are a common for beginners, heck even for the novice's sometimes. Also for the hooks, if you haven't tried circles give them a try, I don't use anything but circles on the river, now if I am at a large lake I like using J's for flatheads, but my catch ratio has also went way up from circles. Some people dont like them because they say it takes some of the sport away from it...Well I am out there to catch fish, thats plenty sport for me.

7. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    So... say a #8 circle hook would be the right size for the river? I usually fish with shad/skips

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    roger let me know if you didnt get my PM. my connection did a flip flop of some sorts when i sent it. thx

9. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I like 10# gamma circles on rivers or any kind of flowing water but many guys on this site will use 8's and 10's commonly. I have been leaning toward khales in calm water but used to use J's in the past but now my hook up ratio seems to have improved. Good luck in whatever you decide to use.

10. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    went today and got some 4/0 octopus circle hooks and gonna see if that works any better.