Setting the drag

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by georgiamike, Oct 11, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    How do you guys set your drag? I know how to set the dial on the reel, what I mean is how do you know how tight to set it, of course I know to set it so the drag will release before the line breaks but do you take the pole into consideration?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mike, I have always set my drag by feel. I really don't have a set method. But usually set it at a medium resistance. I like it a bit light so I can adjust according to the fish without having a chance of him breaking me off. I have been using the same line for the last ten years so that helps get a "feel" for the setting that is best. Vern

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    some have said to place your hook on a bucket of water the weight of the fish you plan to catch and give the rod a jerk upward if the drag doesnt slip adjust till it does

some also say hook your scale to the line and set the drag at 80% of the line weight , example 20# line drag slip at 17#

mine is set at about 30# my line is 30# and i adjust after the fish is hooked

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    The way I've been taught is to set the drag at 1/3 the line test weight. The rod adds drag to the line. After the fish is on, you can put more drag on with the star drag, assuming your reel has one, or the drag on the front or rear of your spinning reel. To tight of a drag is the cause of much line breakage.

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I put my rods in the holders & hook a small scale to the hook & pull down till the drag gives.You can watch the scale & tell excatly when it gives.I use 30lb test & set it to give around 8lbs.-I can just about set them by feel also.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    The way I set mine is by runing the line through the rod guides... then pulling it at a 90 or so degree angle from the rod, sometimes more, sometimes less depends on the rod... I want the drag to slip just past when the rod is bent to that 90 degree angle... This means that the rod is taking alot of the force and if you have the right line with the right reel with the right rod you will be hard pressed to lose a fish... and if you need to during the fight you can losen/tighten SLIGHTLY or what I do sometimes is thumb the reel when i pull back then on the down pump while pulling in i release my thumb and reel in line keeping it taught and a bend in the rod as I go down...

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

This is what I use with a scale

8. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Mine is set at 10 pds. I use 65pd braided line so breaking off isn't so much an issue as loosing a fish that is not hooked as good. If i can get off that anchor before he spools me then i won't adjust. Theres been some fish that barely was hooked and it would hurt to know that one could of been that monster i was looking for. Something to think about......

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I setter' just so I can just pull some line out then tighten drag nob a 1/4 turn. Easy.

10. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i also set my drag by hand. I pull on the line and loosen the drag settin until it slips rather easily. I always prefer to have my drag set too loose, rather than too tight. One can always reach down and tighten up the drag if a fish is peelin off too much line...but it's kinda hard to reach down and loosen up the drag when a bigger fish has already broke you off...:cool2:

cyas
    rc

11. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Exactamundo, and you can do this using your fish weighing scales.

12. Muddler

Muddler New Member

State:
    Virginia
    When I'm done fishin', no matter how I've set my drag, I always make a point to back it way off.

I don't mind adjusting my drag while fishing or even while fighting a fish. It's a little knob. It's right there. You turn it one way or another. Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't think drag setting is all that important, as long as it's not too tight or too loose.

What I wonder about is experienced fishermen who reel against the drag.

13. Bryan Roseberry

Bryan Roseberry New Member

Very Good Point!

14. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Could you please explain what you mean by "reel against the drag"? I'd been taught to keep reeling until fish was landed so that the fish has no slack on the line, regardless of the direction it chooses to swim. Thanks.

-- Rich, who thinks the 1/3 weight rule sounds pretty good.

15. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    In my berkley fishing guide it says to adjust 1/3 of the lines test. Use a digital scale to help w/ an accurate measure. I do this sometimes.... but I have had some good ones just keep pulling line off of my rod causing me to tighten or loosen during a battle.

16. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    Drag can make a difference if it is set too tight or too loose. The rod/line can break if it is set too tight. If it is set too loose you may not get the hook up on a big fish.

17. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I keep my drag set light. Say if I was bass fishing, I use my thumb to put on additional pressure. You can lose a big fish due to the hook pulling out if he's hooked in the corner of his mouth. Just use enough pressure to keep him under control, and out of snags. You can always tighten down your drag during the fight. I have found that towards the end of a fight with 30+ and 40+ pound fish, If you just keep tension they will surface, If you pull hard they will pull hard the other way. Just start guiding them to you. The object is to get them to rise not see who can pull the hardest. If you do have to tighten your drag during the fight make sure you loosen it back up as the fish nears the boat or bank. Cause as soon as he sees you, the boat, or the spotlight he will dive for the bottom one more time and can snap your line on a tight drag.

18. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    No matter what I'm fishing for, I tend to leave it a little on the loose side. You don't lose many fish from the drag being a tad loose, but lines do break all the time when it is set too tight.

Besides, as someone stated earlier, they put those drag setting knobs where they're nice and accesable. It's no big deal to have a fish on and be setting the drag at the same time.

First cat I EVER caught was on a trout rod, 8lb. test and some makerel. Before I knew what had happened, that fish had taken about 50 yards of line from me and was half a river away. About twenty minutes later, after setting the drag to a much more "catfish appropriate" level, pulled a ten lber out, and had a nice supper of catfish and dove. (hunting season)
    Started a whole new love of fishing for me.

19. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    For some perspective... i caught and landed a 27 lb fish on 12 lb line....it was a long, drawn out duel...but i won. I caught a 18lb fish on 10lb line..another long ordeal....my blood was flowin!!!

I landed an 8lb fish on 6lb line that was frayed...that was the most harrowing!

Just learn your gear...fishin is awesome..work is not

cyas
    rc