setting the drag right

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by slikk03, Jul 28, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was wondering how low you should set the drag for a big flathead mine was locked and it snapped 60 pound braided but i was only execting small flats around 10 20 pounds, my drd was set so i could barly pull the line out with all my sreanth is that to tight

2. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX

3. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I posted this along time ago hope it helps.
    First off you will need a friend or a relative named Bubba
    Put Bubba behind the wheel of your 4x4 then tie your line to the bumper.
    Now stand on a skateboard with your rod with the drag loose as Bubba drives off tighten down the drag till it starts to pull you.
    Now while your being pulled direct your skateboard to pull you thu your neighbors hedge bush if he pulls you thru it without breaking it you've got it right if it breaks try until you get it right.
    Loop

4. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    If you snapped 60 lb line yeah I'd say your drag is too tight. I'd also dare say that it wasn't just your drag but perhaps abrasion or a bad knot. I am not sure I can lock down my 7000's enough to snap 60 lb line.

You should be able to pull out line without the line cutting into the other line on the reel. You have a rod for leverage as well as the drag.

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    Agreed! just my reel is a PENN 309 and can not snap my 65lb braid

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    never set the drag that tight if he was only hook in the corner of the mouth in the skin not very deep with a drag that tight he could pull out very easily. sometime threw out the fight a big flathead will make 1 heck of a run either at first or when you get him off the bottom a ways they allways will normally go back down in a fierce manner !!!!!

i run 30 to 40 lb test and say my drag is only as tight as if i was bass fishing with 17 lb mono guesing around 10 lbs of pull it will slip i use bait casters so if i need to slow him down for some reason i just use my thumb on the spool gently .

the number 1 reason people lose a big fish is THE DRAG TOO TIGHT !!!!

AND besides thats the fun of fishing is the fight try not to get too excited and enjoy the battle .

never try to horse a big fish in . let the drag do what its job and that is to slip when needed.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    One thing I will say is if a fish runs and your spool is full and it takes half your spool it needs to be loosened.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    I've seen more than one member set the hook on a snagged cat and fight the snag for a long while due to tooooo lose of a drag.

Its fun to watch..lol.

:smile2:

9. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    I set my drags to work in combination with the rod,line and hook size. All three of these need to work together. What I do is put the hook in something sturdy that won't give or move. Let out about 30 feet of line and lock the reel in. Pull back on the rod till the line is tight, then pull till the rod is bent good. The drag should start slipping when the rod is bent real good. If you think it's bent to far then loosen the drag. The line between the guides should not touch the rod at all. Oh yeah, wear safety glasses please.
    I like to have my drag tighter than most because the river I fish has tons of snags, gotta pull the fish out of them fast.
    This might not be the propper way to do it but, setting the drag like this is what works best for me. It lets me know my line/rod will not break, or my hook will not bend. I don't mess with the drag at all after setting like this. Just check them every now and then.

10. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :0a27::0a31::worship::0a24:

":0a32:" people would listen to you :cool2:

11. Flatspontoons

Flatspontoons New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great Point, Scott!

I think that we flathead fisherman have been "coached" so heavily by catfishing video's and books that we have to use mega-heavy line to 100% "Horse / Manhandle" the brute out of cover.....we're constantly admonished that if we give-up even 2 feet of line after the hook-set, he'll tangle us in a snag for sure and then it's over with......

Gotta have a LITTLE bit of drag unless you're using steel-cable! ......:wink:

12. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    guesing around 10 lbs of pull it will slip

i should of also added this ,

put your rod in a rod holder and tie your line to a set of scales and pull you will be amazed how hard 10 to 20 lbs of pull is and a good way to see how your reel performs just keep walking away and feel the rod and drag work together. a SMOOTH drag is the KEY. YOU MAY ONLY GET 1 CHANCE WITH A LARGE FISH :wink: