Setting some lines tomorrow

Discussion in 'Turtle Talk' started by jdw123, Oct 10, 2007.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    hi everyone, i'll be using eagleclaw size 6 treble hooks on these lines. will these hooks be the right size and strong enough for softshells and snappers.
    do yall catch many red ears on limb lines?

jdw

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i prefer single hooks for turtles, they are easier to reuse that way. if you are eating turtle, redears aren't really worth much, but yes they will get on the line same as a snapper or softshell. good luck and let us know how you do!

3. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    well, i went to check my limb line and the hook was gone along with almost half of the mainline which is i over 100# test! i could see where the line was frayed like something twisted until it broke. i am now using a 9" steel leader. exactly what size treble or single hook should i use, and what brands. thanks

jdw

4. plukr54

plukr54 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Up here we use large single hooks. Also found that if we put a`gill or anything for that matter that was "fresh" all we caught was softies! I like to use deer meat that has sit outside for a spell. Snappers like there dinner "well done"
    Good Luck!

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    size 3 eagle claw limerick hooks are a standard trotline hook and will hold a turtle just fine. you might have hung into a big cat or gar, depending on where in texas you are. i would use cut carp for your turtle lines, and you might pick up some bonus cats as well. good luck.