Setting Jugs on Rend

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by Kojak, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was thinking of making up about 30 or so jugs to set up at Rend in the next couple weeks. This will be my first time jugging...god I love having a boat. Anyway, I am wanting to catch a flatty. I need some advise on where to put the jugs. I plan on going early enough to catch some gills and shad, gonna bait half and half. Any ideas on where to start out. Ill probly also be pole fishing in the general vicinity of where I put the jugs so I don't really want to go somewhere I am going to tear my boat up after dark.

2. howards

howards Member

State:
    IL.
    At night close to shore or on the mud flats..in the day time in deeper water of say 10 feet or more.

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I'd love to help but I am still learning Rend... I don't know how to fish it well enough... can't spend as much time as I like to on that lake due to the distance. 2 hours one way is too much to just do some fishing.

4. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    go in the stump fields on the north end,cant say for sure thats where u will pull a flathead,but deerhunter 4 and i spent 2 dayz in the stump fields,well we ended up with some nice channel,if ur gonna use that shad be careful if u put them on whole most of the time u will check the juggs to rebate and only the guts will be gone,cut the head off and hook it right above the gut pocket for a good hook set.if u use bluegill,try to throw them on live but set them juggs a hair deeper than ur other ones,like i said i cant promise anything but from experience thats what i would do,good luck and get u a nice one brother.tell Dylan i said hi.

5. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    the waltonville dam is the absolute best place to use jugs on rend, but you said you dont wanna go up there after dark, so i would put in at the turnip patch if the wind is outta the north and motor towards the big island. then go north just a bit.all the stumps are on the east side of the island. you could also put in at the ina ramp and stay to the east and you will be outta the stumps. i would use live and cut gills for that. live shad wont stay alive on jugs very long

6. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    also forgot to mention, i could go out there and show you. the thing about the waltonville dam that makes it so great for jugs is the fact that it is enclosed ecept for the little inlet under the tracks. the boat lanes are marked with bouys now so you have little chance of hitting anything. basically depending on wind direction, you just toss em out on one side, then go over to the other side and wait on em with a spotlight. i can go out there anytime before i ship out except this weekend, i have my daughter friday till sunday morning. i could go out any day after that till the 4th

7. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Have you caught flatheads there in the past? Also, is there a lot of stumps/timber. I'm going on vacation @ rend with 6 buddies next Wed-Sun. we were thinking about running some flatty trotlines up there at least one night?

8. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I personally haven't caught any in Rend lake but, I know muddy has. Also, the place he is talking about is stump/timber hell, I lost a prop there last year. But, the water was much lower last year than this year so I am thinking it will be a bit safer :cross:.

9. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Again.. those bouys out there are not safety boat lanes. I talked to the DNR guys at Rend and they said it is NOT.

10. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    check it out on a map and then go there and see. they also put orange plastic jugs on top of the trees on the sides of the lanes, and spray paint the line to the tracks there with orange paint on the trees. just like the bonnie dam. and they also do it at the bluegill hole. but it really doesnt matter as long as you go slow and pay attention to whats ahead of you. the water is still pretty high. the way i have learned is that if the concrete at the culvert on the middle of the subimpoundment is not showing, you are safe.

11. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    yeah theres plenty of flatheads up there but good luck finding a place to put the trotlines. people up there are very territorial.

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    this is the rend lake conservancy district. all the dnr really does up there is take out the trash. these bouys are going in a perpindicular line right over where the boat ramps are on the map, so i dont see why they wouldnt be there for any other reason. i see them almost every day. they are blue. as opposed to the ones that are in the usacoe district which are orange and are in the southern part of the lake

13. Don Wessling

Don Wessling New Member

State:
    IL.
    if you want to stay away from stumps you could try Sandusky cove. I see people jug there when I'm camping all the time. Don't know if there are any flatties there, plenty of channels. Say hi to Dillon.

14. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well, I have about 25 jugs made up and now just need to pick a spot and go. I have come to the conclusion that sooner or later my boat is going to see some stump fields, might as well go ahead and see what its made of. I am seriously not too worried about damaging it because I used to be a line foreman at a boat factory...on the hull side of the plant lol, so if I break something I still know lots of people, and myself that can have it fixed in no time..but, I don't see that happening. The only problem now is that the family is wanting to have a fish fry at about the same day I want to set jugs (go figure) and guess who the cook is:crazy:. I am going to try to set them and fish close to where we have the fry...man its gonna be a busy weekend.

15. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    `When will you be down there and where do you camp? Three friends and i are going to rend this wed.-sun. I'll be fishing and running sets all over the lake. If you see a 19 ft. G3 jon boat w/ a center console sticking up, hop on over and say hi. Good luck fishing too, I've been going there since i was a little kid and it's my favorite by far for numbers. I've caught some pretty nice ones too, including some nice flatties on sets. Hopefully, we'll get into some with rod and reel on this trip. I have'nt run jugs too much there, but what i like to do is sink a couple of window weights with two big jugs on top, pulled tight with the weight so there's no slack. I then run a dropper about 10" long with a 10/0 circle hook and a live gill or drum tyed on every five feet. Run your jugs on flats or points close to the old river or creek channels(a lake map is a good investment). I"ve caught flats on just about every trip here and have never gone to the stumps. Although, we're gonna give her a try this trip i think:wink:. Good luck and hope to see you out there!

16. Kojak

Kojak New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will be out there for sure Friday night, possibly Saturday too. Not real sure about Saturday, that all depends on the fish fry schedule. I will be in a blue and white Basscat, not that we would even be able to see each other at night lol. I am not camping because I live 10 mi from the lake so....with the cost of camping, vs. gas its about the same. Ill look for ya though.

17. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Wow, it must be nice living so close to one of the best catfisheries in illinois! Well, best of luck on your juggin', and have a great weekend.:big_smile: