Setting Drag?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by CJ21, Nov 30, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I am wondering how do u, guys set ur drags? I nomally set my tight but so the fish can pull the line a little bit.

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i usually set mine at a little above medium so i can set the hook but still let him run with it.

3. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    I like my drag very lose. Most the fish I catch Are under 5 pounds. Less drag makes for a better fight.

4. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There are various ways of how you can set your drag to your style of fishing. You can set it for a good solid hook set. Depending upon your line strength, you can set it just under the poundage so your line will not break. You can set it so that your main line will not break, but your leader will or drop weight leader if pulling off a snag. Some reels have a secondary drag system that you can also use where one is just above the current so the fish can run with it and then click into your main setting for the hook set. If you have a big one on, you can always loosen the drag to let them run more to enjoy the fight. Then adjust it tighter to slow them down to gain some ground on them. Basically, there is no right or wrong. It is just knowing the limitations of your equipment and how to adjust it all accordingly. So play around with it to develop your own style of what you want it to do.

5. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I set it so I can pull line out, by hand, from the tip of the rod, not the reel.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I set my drag so that if he runs, he can pull line... it starts getting out a ways, I tighten it down just a little so it will have more of a problem spooling my reel. If it is gonna take all my line, and then break off, I would just as soon it broke off while I was getting the play out of it... bragging rights, you know...

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I set my drag at 1/4 line test with a scale.I never mess with it with a fish on.

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    i always fish with my drag set loose. I try to keep it tight enough that i can get a good hook set.

A couple times this year i have reeled in a fish and forgot to loosen my drag back up, then lost a decent sized fish by gettin broke off because my drag was set too tight. One in particular i STILL get pissed about when i think about it.
    For me personally, the drag comes into play more when there's a strong current on the river. And that's exactly what happened on the big fish i lost.
    I caught it on a jig i was workin in heavy current.....i felt the fish briefly and knew it was a decent fish, but it turned and came straight at the boat which was down current. I reeled hard to get the slack picked up, the fish went under the boat, my line and pole started to 'groan' and then it snapped..ARGH! :angry:

My personal style is simple, i can always reach down and tighten up the drag if needed, but if i need to loosen the drag quickly....usually it will break me off faster than i can reach the drag system.

If i used heavy gear all the time, it probably would not matter as much, but i enjoy using light to med tackle as much as possible since i often target different species of fish.

9. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I was younger, I used to set my drag by the book and used a scale to measure it accurately according to the manufactures suggestions in the reel operators manual(at least when I finally got a reel that had a drag that worked). But then I got kind of lazy and just use the pull line out of the reel until it felt just right method.

Mostly now what happens is after every trip, I loosen the drag all the way. Then when I get on the water, I usually forget to set it up right again and the first fish that comes along and takes my bait, I go to set the hook and all I get is a lot of fishing line coming of the reel. It always makes for a lousey hook set, if any at all and I proceed to frantically fumble with the drag just about in time to completely miss the fish or break off my line.:crazy: It does however provide a good laugh for my fishing buddies as they usually say "You always do that dummy".:roll_eyes:

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I

I do mine the exact same way. I got spoiled with some of my Shimano saltwater reels, they have the lever drag system, nothing is more convenient than that:big_smile:

11. FishBrew

FishBrew New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Short answer: tight enough to set the hook, loose enough for the big'uns to run a bit, always in relation to the main line pound test.
    As stated, this is mostly related to the type of reel you fish with and how you fish. IMO, not having the drag set properly (to loose or to tight) prevents more big fish from being landed than almost anything else.