Settin a circle hook,havin trouble

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by big cat matt, May 7, 2009.

1. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    I m having some trouble gettin good hooksets with circle hooks.Dont know exactly what im doing wrong,tried lettin the fish take it,tried a slower pull to set the hook ,and tried reelin down on them.Nothin seems to work as good as just usin a khale or even a j hook.I fished 6 poles off the back 3 with khales and 3 with circles. After 1 hour and a bunch of missed fish I switched the circles to khales and started catchin more.I use shad cut and live most of time and occasionaly brim, that may have something to do with it.I fish rivers with alot of current and calm lakes too.Any help from the circle hook guys would be much appreciated.

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    What circle hook brands and styles are you using? In my opinion, only the wide gap circle hooks work the best. However, it depends if the fish are hitting hard or not. If the fish are not hitting hard, I will switch to a 7/0 kahle or sickle hook. I use the Gamakatsu 8/0 circle hooks and Daiichi 7/0 circle chunk lights when they are taking the baits hard.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If the cats are hitting light a circle doesn't do you any good. But when they are slamming the baits it's as easy as pie.

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I agree 100%.:cool2:

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use a Carolina rig with a no more than 16"leader, fishing tight lined only. I never reach for the rod until it slaps over hard and makes the clicker go off. I've learned that if I see a tap and pick up the rod I lose some fish. In time you can learn to sort of set a circle but it takes practice and you don't yank it hard like other hooks. I only use Eagle Claw Circles and have nearly 0% fish loss. I always use straight eyed hooks and snell them..a deadly trigger. Atm its cut bait time so a 4/0and 5/0 is perfect for me. Later on I will go up to bigger hooks when I'm throwing larger live baits. I also hook almost everything threw the eyes, brain or under the dorsal fin.

It does take practice but I'm so glad I stuck with it. If my wife lets me I'm thinking of making a video while I'm bank fishing in hopes it helps newer circle hook users.

Most folks that use them will swear buy them and those who cant get the hang of it will put down the method.

If ya have great success with other hooks, sticking with them is a option but I truly encourage people to stick with circles.

Oh and don't let people fool you by telling you that you cant get flatheads on them either...I see that a lot around here ; )

-Jim-

6. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    I think you need the wide gap circle hooks for sure. I also use a bigger hook when using circle hooks.

7. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    1. Try getting your bait off the bottom.

2. You must have plenty of gap for bait size.

3. Try using a rubber band to keep the bait form pluging the gap.(some new ones actually have a second barb that serves the same purpose)

4. Hold rod parrllel to water and back up or reel up slack to get hook set instead of reeling down with rod pointing up.

8. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    I don't know how good of bank rod holders you have or how much you trust them. I use driftmaster rod holders on my boat and fully trust them. I try not to touch the rod tell I know he's hooked. This may require my rod tip going towards the water and drag peeling off. Now if your picking your rod up and trying these different ways to set the hook it's just not as effective. When I reel down the rod stays in the driftmaster......I also find that circles are just not as effective on channels because there tendencies to tap tap the bait.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I guess everyone has there proven methods, that seem to work for them. I recently started using circle hooks on bluecats and channelcats, and since I've been using them....my hook ups have gone way "UP". I too fish from the bank and have very re-liable bank rod holders. I use the Heavy duty spiral bank rod holders and they act like a giant spring and most times the fish hooks itself and I just have to reel them in. I dont use the clicker while fishing circles....I just loosen the drag a "little" and no problems here.
    I'm still sold on the King Kahle hooks for flatheads and fishing Live baits.:wink:

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    i dont care to use circles for cut bait ,i have better success with kahles for that.I use the circles for things like liver,shrimp things of that nature and it works fine.The kahle hook is a little more forgiving then the circle hook is you can be a little late and still hook the fish.heck the kahle hook you can use it just like a circle hook or set it like a J hook its a win win situation.

11. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    if i understand right circles are supposed to set by themselves. if you jerk you will rip it out of its mouth. try letting the rod load up real good and just give a little tug. circles are designed to hook the fish right in the corner of the mouth. they work good when you fall asleep on those late nights lol:wink:

12. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    just make sure if you fall asleep you have some good rod holders,if not you will wake up to your rod skating across the river lol.

13. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Joe mentioned it but what comes to my mind is that you are gettint to much of the bait inside the hook, The point needs to be clear so that it can grab the corner of the fishes mouth, Try just hooking enough of the bait to hold it on the hook, dont over load it..
    Might help, if thats the problem..
    Good luck,
    If you can get them working you will love them I think.:wink:
    Puddle

14. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Totally agree with John. Sometimes it's the little things that make the difference. I fish a lot of big baits on mine for the blues. Took me a while to find one that I could load up and have plenty of barb showing. Made a big difference one I got the right circle matched up.

15. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    Hey Pip, I see your from Chambersburg Pa. I'm originally from the Gettysburg area, grew up outside of Caledonia off of route 30. Joined the Army and got stayed in Fayetteville NC. Where do you go fishing in the area to catch the big blues I see on your avatar and profile? I see your a mechanic, do you know Danny Shank? He's a real good family friend.

16. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    As posted above make sure your not filling the gap of the hook up with bait. Also when hooking the bait hook it along the side not the thick part. This will allow the hook to work as its designed to work.
    If you have the rod in your hands just feed the fish 2 or 3 ft of slack line. That allows the fish to turn, This is how a circle hook works. The fish turns allowing the hook to slide into the side of the jaw. Then dig in to set the hook for you.
    Biggest thing I see people do wrong with a circle hook. Fill that gap up with bait. Then the bait stops the hook from working.
    Try this out, Hook your bait the normal way. Then take it back off and hook it along the side of the same piece of bait. You will see that hooking the bait light will let the circle hook the way it should. I can use a smaller hook by hooking the same size bait through the thin part.
    pete

17. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I was one of those fishermen that did not give Circle Hooks a fair chance, :embarassed:
    But after reading a lot of the post here on the right way of using them, I decided to give the hooks a fair shot & devoted an entire fishing trip to them only using them -"& I'm glad that I did" :big_smile:
    Not Bragging But: The last Gathering that I was on in Mendota Ca, it was hard to just sit there at first - "But Now I'm Hooked" - I did not miss a fish at that Gathering.

Now I know that it may not be like that every time I go out :0a14: But it's nice to know that "They Work if you just give them a chance".
    "I'm Sold on them"!
    :wink:
    :0a23:
    :0a26: