Setline Hooks

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by uptoolate, Aug 14, 2006.

1. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    I just got my boay running again after about 3 1/2 months of sitting (put good gas in it) and am going to start jugging, just starting with a few. I was wondwering what kind of hooks ya'll use. I've been reading alll about those circle hooks on R & R and they're like Bush--you love them or hate them. Would you dare use them on a jugline? And yes I've checked all the rules and regs and will be well wthin them. Thanks in advance

2. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Oops, meant to put that in General Catfish. How do I move it or does a mod have to? Well it can stay here for all I care all I'm after is channels.

3. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use circle hooks on jugs, trotlines, and on rod and reel with awesome success. Every jug hookup has the fish right in the corner of the jaw. I use the Eagle Claw size 7's. Chris

4. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use circle hooks on my jugs also.

5. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Circle hooks give me good results on jug lines, and fair results on trotlines. I personally don't have much luck with juglines in the summer. Seems like I catch them more on trotlines in the hot weather. Someday I'm gonna figure out a good way to present jug bait on or near the bottom without having it get tangled. Till then, trotlines summer. Juglines spring and fall.
    BTW: good old O'Shaunessy hooks #5 through #7 work best for me on trotlines.....and cost considerably less than circles.

6. MississippiJugHead

State:
    Missouri
    Nice to hear that juggin will be getting even better. This weekend I had 7 jugs out Saturday night-Sunday morning and caught 4 cats, a 6# channel and 3 2# flatheads. On my jugs I use trotline clips with leaders to the hooks and have so far not had any major problems with tangles. My main line has a series of 2 double knots every three feet so I can pick whichever pair of knots is at the depth I want. The clip goes on between the double knots and prevents it from moving up or down.

7. DittmeRhino

DittmeRhino New Member

State:
    Missouri
    MississippiJugHead, I really like your idea of using knots as a depth stop. Thanks.Four fish from seven jugs! Man, I need to move to Mississippi! Anchored or floating?

8. MississippiJugHead

State:
    Missouri
    I cannot take credit for the knots as depth stop idea. I got it from the library in a post by Michael Ryno(Catfish Addiction). Look at his excellent post to see pictures of his entire setup. I also use his idea of adding a second screw eye to be able to adjust the length of the main line itself. My mainline is 30 ft and I bet I haven't used it in water deeper than 15 ft the whole summer. He also suggested the trotline clips. See his post for details. As for the double knots, it takes a while to get your mainline prepared but it pays for itself over and over again in ease of use when it really matters out on the river.
    My jugs are anchored with some 2 lb weights I bought at WalMart for about a dollar each. They are a bit pricey but they are really easy to store both on the boat and at the clubhouse. I can store enough weights for my seven jugs in a box the size of a loaf of bread.
    The weight is connected with 50# mono to yet another screw eye that is in a water bottle cap. On past weekends I have had a water bottle full of chum at this point in the setup but now feel its not really necessary. The mainline (160#) connects to this anchor line with a trotline clip. The clip just goes on anywhere between the weight and the screw eye. The clip makes it easy to add the weight just before the jug is set in the river. The weight comes off just as easy when I pull the jug back into the boat.