Set lines?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ILLINOIS TALK' started by hock_paul, Jul 21, 2008.

1. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Can anyone tell me for sure or not if bank/bobby poles and limb lines are legal fishing equipment in Illinois or not? I went to the river this weekend an saw a lot of them out, and a lot of guys said they were using them. THANKS!:confused2:

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i think its site specifc regulations

3. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks buddy, I'm gonna try it out.

4. foxkidd44

foxkidd44 New Member

State:
    shelbyville,illinois
    LIMB LINES ARE ILLEGAL .................BANK POLES ARE OK.

5. freeburgtrapper

freeburgtrapper New Member

State:
    freeburg,illinois
    i didnt think you could use any of them, but i do know if you leave them you have to have them marked with you name ,address. we just found a grove of cane and picked a bunch of poles the land owner wanted cut. they are anywhere from 12-16 feet long and would work great if legal. i'll have to look at the book again.

6. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    I looked at the fishing guide on-line and i could'nt find anything that said limb-lines were illegal. I'll have to check that out again. My old ladys' mom has a huge willow tree and i'm going to cut some of the longer branches off and use them, you guys think those should work good? How far into the bank do you have to stick them in, so the fish wo'nt pull them out?:0a28:

7. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Just like John said.... Limb Lines are illegal in IL. Bank poles, trotlines, and jugs are legal as long as they are each marked with name and address. Be sure to check the specific body of water you want to fish as well, as all those alternative methods of fishin may be illegal. Best bet... go to walmart and go to the fishing dept... snag one of the free fishing laws booklets they have there.

8. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea just pay attention to what body of water ur on,like coffeen,u cant have bank poles, u cant have trout lines,but u can throw juggs,and juggs only.

9. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I've seen a lot of guys use cane for bank poles and have success with them. We prefer 2 inch pvc. You can cut to desired lengths and drill them to log jams using many different methods (brackets,nails,screws). Being able to use log jams usually seems to produce more flattys whereas sticking cane up on the mud flats produce a lot more channels.

Be cautious as some bodys of water only allow for you to have so many hooks in at one time.

This style of fishing can be very productive, it'll just take you a while to determine what works best for you (anything from bait type to hook size, line type or rig type). Good luck and be ready for the turtles :)

10. hock_paul

hock_paul New Member

State:
    illinois
    Thanks guys, you are right, limb lines are illegal, bank poles are not. I'm gonna try them on the kasky. this weekend. I'll let you all know how it goes.:0a23:

11. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Ryan, what length do you usually use in the logjams?

12. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    get you some pank poles. they work great. if you cant get it on a logjam, then jam em in the mud on an outside bend with some structure like brush or something. bait em with live bluegill.

13. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois

Jerry, typically you buy your pvc in 10 ft lengths at a hardware store. Invest in a pair of pvc snips and they will cut through the pvc like butter (you probably already know that). This will allow you to cut them at any length you desire. We cut the majority of our poles at either 6 or seven foot. It really all depends on the composition of the log jams you are fishing. So this leaves you with a bunch of 3 and 4 ft sections. I’ve seen guys cut one end of the pvc at a 45 degree angle (to make it somewhat sharp) and use those shorter poles to stick in the mud on flats and on the bank. I guess you just have to find what works for you.
    Use live bait at all costs unless you want to deal with all the turtles you are going to catch with cut bait

14. roondad

roondad New Member

State:
    ill.
    :cool2:
    limb lines are illegal in illinois, put your poles in at a 45 degree angle about a foot deep