Set Lines?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Blacky, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I know you Ohio bros can enlighten me on this subject. Don't know if they are legal in OH, but definitely illegal here in PA.

From what I've read about, it's just a line tied to a branch on a tree?

Skip, Rollo, Flathunter, Dink, Netman?
    I ask for a little of you time and start me off with Set Lines 101.

Thank you.

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Here you go Blacky

http://www.ohiodnr.com/wildlife/dow/regulations/fishing_setlines.aspx

Setlines or Banklines - Setlines or Banklines may be used to catch turtles and fish. The name and address of the user must be attached to each line. The maximum is 50 lines, each having a single hook. Treble hooks may not be used. The lines must be attached to the shore above water, but not to a boat, dam, dock, pier, pole, rod, or wall. No more than six set or banklines may be used in public waters of the state of Ohio less than 700 surface acres. All lines must be checked once every 24 hours. All lines must be removed after completion of use.​

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    blacky, can i ask why you want to know? i don't look high upon lining, etc. in all my days fishing i have seen limited amounts of lines ran legal. mostly because, the people that run these lines are shady individuals that have other problems with laws and regulations also....not everyone! lol...before you liners dump the can of worms i once again opened! but alot of them!!:smile2: rollo

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have seen setlines hang from the same trees for years, some spots on the river as far as you can see there is nothing but lines hanging into the water.

And most, "not all" of the flatheads caught from these lines are being illegally sold to paylakes.

I dont like them, and never will..I think Ohio should outlaw all forms of fishing except rod and reel, just my thoughts, you asked:big_smile:

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It still bothers my that you can put out 50 lines on the river but only fish with 2 rods, what the heck is up with that..

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is an example on why I dont like set or trotlines, now I realize we have "good" liners on this forum, this is not directed to you.

Several years back I made my way down to one of my bank spots to find a jon boat laying on the bank and half a dozen guys sitting around drunk.

Beer cans littered the ground, and they were very willing to tell me what they were doing..They said and I quote " we are trotlining for beer money"

They had a paylake that was giving them 1 dollar per pound for every flathead they caught.

I never went back to that spot, and was so disgusted I felt like quitting fishing.

Thats the day I called the game warden and was informed and I quote "It's just the river, they are just catfish"

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Why? I read about them but can't comprehend what they are.

So it's pretty much line tied to something whether it be a boat, dock, or tree?

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thats sad!:sad2:
    That also sounds like some people down in this area. They'll go to the Ohio river(mainly on the OH side where I like to fish) and load up with flatties. They then take them to a $$$ pond nearby and sell them for $1.00-$2.00 a pound so they can make easy beer/smoke/drug $$$.
    It makes me sick!!! :angry: There have been some good spots ruined because of these guys!!!:angry:
    A guy tried to get me to do it once and haven't fished with him since...:angry:
    Not sure if they'd do anything at all about it since they legally catch the flatties. What can we do???:confused2:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    to answer your question blacky, yes. they tie them to near anything they can. often running 50 or more on a section of river...rollo

10. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I really disturbs me. I can't even see how a game warden could say that to you. taking fish from the river to sell to a paylake is illegal am i right? Those kind of people don't care anything about fishing other than a easy way to get beer money and they can get plastered while there doing it. I would like to see someone like that try to catch a flat on a rod and reel.:confused2:

11. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    If it can be proven, it is illegal to sell any of the fish they catch and a pay-lake caught buying them could be penalized pretty expensive

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I guess they obviously work with some of your testmonies.

No paylakes out here in PA, the state raises trout and dumps them in creeks and streams for all to enjoy!

13. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio

Thats What im talking about prostreet. Im not saying that these people cannot fish cause i bet you some of them can. One of the netters that I bump heads with is constantly talking about all these 40 to 60 lb fish that he gets out of the river and thinks he is king of the river because of it. The last time he was bragging of this in front of a bunch of people it just plain ol pissed me off. I know he gets them cause he stalks his paylakes with them. He was standing around one evening when I was telling a friend of mine about our good fishing trip me and my uncle had the evening before. I was telling my buddy how we were catching these fish and he (the netter) quickly decided to chime in with his 2 cents. He was quick to tell me how we were going about everything the wrong way and should have been doing things differently. He also decided to put down the equipment that i was using and the rigs I was using were just not quite tough enough for the catfish that he catches. I quickly took offense to this and told him anyone can catch fish in nets draped many hundreds of feet down the river. Man did he have my blood boiling. Im no pro by any means, but I catch my fair share of big fish and in fairly good numbers to, so to take this from some smart a$$ that wanted to make himself sound smart. You get the Idea, I don't care for him at all. right down the alley prostreet was talking about. you want to brag about what you catch THEN CATCH IT THE RIGHT WAY. Anyone can net or limbline these fish. hell I betcha i could fill a boat if I had 50 fishing poles in random spots all down the river to. For those of you that do limbline the correct way, Great, atleast your following the laws and this doesnt apply towards you. If you don't line the right way then take offense for all i care. The people doing it illegally are most of the ones that are doing it for the sidemoney as stated in the posts above, and sometimes to lazy to come back to get the fish so they hang there and die. I have seen this on way more than one occassion. Im glad to see another brother on here that is expressing his concerns. Thanks blacky.
    By the way This equipment That he was so quick to put down were abu-garcia 6500 reels and 7000 reals rigged with 8 foot heavy action cattmaxx rods and big-game line. Mr. 2 cents must think you have to have saltwater rigs to catch these big fish. Just got a 50lb blue in the boat with no problems what soever. Oh well I guess everyone knows someone like that.

14. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    sounds like your using good gear to me.up north where im at,the rangers are always lookin in peoples buckets and breakin out the measuring stick,checking size limits for bass and walleye.im normally not a fan of law enforcement being to intrusive but in this case i agree with them.i just wish that they would have the same attitude towards flatheads as they do towards other sport fish.also-it seems like everytime i go to the ohio river i hear guys talkin about stocking their ponds and lakes with flatheads.im sick of giving my speech to these guys about how important it is to put these fish back where you caught it.i wont go to a paylake-dont get me wrong,ive seen the pics of 60lb blues and big flatts and it looks fun,but i aint supportin some of the tactics used to get these large fish that could be succesfully breeding in our waterways.im not saying all paylakes are doin this but how would you know?if the state aint gonna do it,we gotta put some friendly pressure on these guys to do the right thing.

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Wow, you Ohio dudes are the best. I posted this same thread on the all All Catfishing Forum and only got 3 responses. But here, you guys spilt the beans. I much appreciate everything from you fellas. Ohio Catfishing Thread is by far the most informative and fun!

Peace!

16. D_Weezy

D_Weezy Active Member

State:
    Cadiz, Ohio
    Name:
    Dale
    I bothers me when other sportsmen downgrade the way that some one does something :sad2:. If it is legal in your state then, what is the problem? If you put down a certain way that something is done, just because a few buttheads are breaking the law, that is sad. I fish with rod/reel, limbline, trotline and jug fish. I obey all laws of the state while doing so. Would it be any better, if the guys that are selling fish to paylakes were catching them with rod/reel :confused2:. They would still be breaking the law. I don't believe that it is the way you fish, as long as you are adhering to the law. I personally don't keep any Flathead that I catch, and keep very few Channel catfish. If you don't fish a certain way that is fine, but don't put down how someone else does it. Personally I don't fish paylakes, but I don't put people down for it either. Watch what you say about outlawing a certain type of fishing. The next thing that they outlaw may be something that you like to do, or a certain way that you do it. I have seen just as many guys setting around catfishing with rod/reel that were drunk as crap. As a matter of fact I have seen more of them, because I hardly know anyone that jug fishes or trotlines. The reason is because, if you are doing it legally, it is a lot of work. By all means, report people that are fishing illegally. Don't put down your fellow fisherman that is doing it the legal way.

17. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    Heck Fire, I've set bank lines for live Bullhead baits fer the Yellows.

Since they r not all that big I just use a "GUTTER SPIKE" and blockline,sinker, etc for each rig and place them out before dark n check them 3 times before the mornin.

Works Gooood fer me!!

:byebye:

18. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    This is a topic that I brought up not long ago. Here is the link to the thread and a pic of a properly made limb line. As I stated before , limb lining is a valuble tool to help find where to target fish with rod and reel.
    There are some on here that exagerate how many lines you can use. The total is 50 hooks, in any combination. If I am using a trotline with 25 hooks on it and 2 rods with 2 hooks each that leaves a total of 21 lines I can put out.
    At no time are recreation fisherman allowed more than 50 hooks. It gets old some posting a 75 line thing. If you are setting out 75 lines you are not going to follow the rules with many other things too. thats probably the guy who is road hunting during deer gun season,the guy who shoots anything that moves and will keep and any and all fish he catches regardless of size or species.
    If you don't like the way I fish then try to change the law instead of griping in an open forum and putting down the ones who are following the LEGAL way to do something. But try to remember that what you do someone else might not like it either so we need to make what you do illegal too.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67149

19. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I fish with set lines from time to time on the San Marcos and Guadalupe rivers here in Texas. I tie a line to a limb overhanging the water and mark it with bright ribon or tape. I will usually bait it with live bluegill and add enough weight to keep the bait down. I don't fish on the bottom. I try to keep the bait in about half the depth of the water. I don't hang up as much this way. It's neat to see the limb being tuged on as you approach the line, and then pull in a nice catfish. The kids go for this. I always take my lines up when finished. The only problem I have is getting them stole from me. A man that will steal a $2.00 line is nothing more than an air thief. Catfishjon

20. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I guess this all boils down to if you are for conservation, or arent for conservation. I just happen to be for Conservation and selective harvest. I would feel totally different about jugging, limblining, etc. if people would just use the selective harvest theory. I know when this was brought up in a previous thread xsmokinjoe used limblining to locate fish and that he released the fish that he got on them. That was the first time I had ever heard of someone using this method for locating fish and I will say, that is a pretty good idea! also he was doing things by the law. Your right though it is the but heads that are ruinning the limbline, jugging name in my opinion. I will tell you that many times I have ran up in creeks off the main river and seen limb lines hanging with fish tugging, there are 20 or 30 pound fish on them. Yes I have checked whats on the other end and for those of you that think that is bullcrap you should appreciate it because I will tell you now I HAVE NEVER SEEN A LIMBLINE IN MY AREA THAT WAS DONE THE RIGHT WAY ACCORDING TO LAW. One fish Imparticular was about a 20lb shovelhead way way up in a creek and it had been on there so long it had died and had been eaten up partially by turtles. xsmokinjoe was good enough to post exactly how it should be done by law and ive NEVER seen that done in my area. Just a piece of string with a circle hook. One particular guy that ive seen setting limblines in a local creek just off the river was baiting all of his lines with BIG live bait. Large Gold fish and big Bluegills. That tells me what this guy is going for. He wants the monster flatheads!! Actually I know that is what he was after cause he asked us if we knew anyone who would be interested in buying shovelheads off of him. This is one of those people ruining it for everyone. There are many many fish in the river for the plate. Once again, selective harvest, put the big breeding fish back and keep the 2-5 pounders. I know what people are out to get in my area and that is large fish! The larger the better to them. These people arent taking these fish to fillet them. They are taking the big fish to sell them. Another thing that was said about the folks catching Big fish with Rod and reel and selling them to paylakes. No They Shouldnt! I guess really I should be mad at the state of Ohio and Kentucky for not ever fining the hell out of these people out there that are doing it illegally, if that were the case, I wouldnt see all of shoe strings hanging and littering the waterways. I mean these people arent evan cleaning up there mess. I guess it all boils down to weather or not you are really for conservation and selective harvest or if your not. That is where the dissagreements are coming from. nothing wrong with the limblines etc. if the fish being taken out are selectively taken out. Maybe its just a lot worse in my area than others im not sure. I very seldom ever go up in a creek and not see a limb shaking like crazy, and trust me there not shaking from a legal limb lines. Doug Stange Just Came out with a new DVD on Conservation on Catfish and he evan stressed how important it was to put the big cats back. Shovel heads and blues lay approximately 1400 eggs per pound. Say a 30 pound shovelhead is taken out. In just one year she is not in the river that robs 42,000 eggs that never evan get the chance to be laid. Now on a 4 pound fish you only rob 5600 eggs that year. That is a big difference!