Set lines: Problems with Gars and Turtles

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by KYTRAPPER, Jul 8, 2007.

1. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    What kind of tips do you have for avoiding problems with Gars and Turtles:confused2: Ive never had that many problems befor but this year its horrible. Whole trotlines and often every limbline stripped with maybe one or two fish and a turtle to show for it:eek:oooh: Dont get me wrong if I catch 2-3 fish on a smaller trot(20 or so hooks) Im fairly happy but the turtles and gar are getting to my bait befor the fish are:angry: Its gettin' old real quick:roll_eyes: I dont know if its the lower water levels or what???

2. cicnolo

cicnolo New Member

State:
    ne. CENTRA
    don't know about set lines but the last two times out turtles have wiped out my stringer. two nice 5 pounders last time. first time this happened in 12 years of fishing this spot.guess i'll get a basket or cordless knife.

3. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have had this problem with gar before on some small streams I set lines on. I noticed though that if I baited them during the day... the problem was inevitable. But if I baited them around sunset (whatever time it was) or even later the problem wasn't as bad, hardly ever happened. Wouldn't catch any cats when the sun was out anyway... but when it got dark, things got good.

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When I catch alot of gars and turtles, it's usually when the water is either still, or slow moving. I try to find some current of some sort whenever possible. That's not always an option though on some streams.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I used to trotline a spot where the turtles would float on their backs and clap their flippers when they saw me coming. I had several lines out, and by the time I finished baiting the last one, the first one would be stripped. After baiting the lines the third time the turtles were generally pretty full, and would leave my lines alone.
    One possible solution might be to find a bait that's so tough that gar & turtles can't get it off the hook; another might be to use a bait that's only attractive to catfish. Salt pork and chitlings are a couple of extremely tough baits I've had some success with. The chitlings were placed in a ziploc bag with anise, garlic powder, or shrimp flavoring (Ramen noodle flavor packets). Ivory soap or marshmallows will only catch catfish, and they work best on a trotline, where they can stay for a while before they start being attractive to catfish. Check the library for an article listing dozens of catfish bait recipes, and see if any of them look like something you'd like to try out.

6. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Good avice fellas, thanks:wink:

7. Whiskerhunter

Whiskerhunter New Member

State:
    Ky
    Try chicken gizzards or hearts, both are tuff and hard to get off the hook. If you want to thin the gars down, add you a small unwound piece of cotton rope to your bait setup. When the gar comes a ROBBIN", all those chainsaw teeth seem to tangle in the cotton fibers. What you do with it after that is up to you. I have heard if you stick them, snout first in a sandbar, they make good windshield wipers OR you can carry a few corn cobs with you and break them in 1/2, ADD to snout and make a submarine....:wink:...both will work OR SO I HAVE HEARD.....what kids won't do....:smile2:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I think nylon rope works better than cotton; also, it's cheaper and easier to find.