Sessions Lake

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by DLB-in-GR, Jun 9, 2006.

1. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    I got into a mess of channels yesterday and today on Sessions Lake, in the Ionia State Rec. area. Caught 6 yesterday and 7 more today in a couple hours of fishing total. Would have limited out today but I ran out of circle hooks. All were eater sized, between 14" and 20", I was fishing for that size with Sonny's dip bait. Caught one on a live bluegill, but that was the only gill I caught in that spot, I'll have to get some small gills and try for the larger cats I know are lurking in that lake. But I am on foot fishing from shore and lugging a bucket of gills 3/4 of a mile around the lake to my spot is a bit too much work. For now I'll be filling the freezer with the eaters.

Sessions is a manmade lake, clean, I'm not afraid to eat what I catch there. A couple of years ago I caught and released a 31" channel cat, so I know they are there.

Happy fishing,
    Doug

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Nicely done Doug! Anytime you can fish for a couple of hours and catch 7 fish, thats a good outting. As far as that 31 incher goes, thats a real trophy.
    Does that lake you have been fishing on have a boat launch? How big is this lake?
    Sparky

3. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Thanks. According to the Park List page at the Mi DNR website, Sessions is 140 acres, 60 feet at its deepest point. Yes there is a nice paved boat launch, camping, toilets, a beach, and a lot of places to fish from the shore. You can pick up a free contour map at the State Park entrance on the way in. In addition to Channel cats, they planted a load of walleye, rainbows and brown trout and the lake is good for bluegills and bass.

Attatched is a picture of my catch. My first picture so bear with me if it doesn't work.

Attached Files:

4. jspiel

jspiel New Member

State:
    comstock park michigan
    nice stringer man....when's dinner. LOL

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Nice stringer of fish,thanks for sharing the pic!!!

6. DLB-in-GR

DLB-in-GR New Member

State:
    MI
    Thanks for the compliments, usually I don't do that well in just a couple of hours fishing in the afternoon. I got out again today for a couple of hours, didn't do quite as well this time, but caught enough for supper. Two channels, one 18" and one 20", and a fair amount of bites where the fish dropped the bait. The bite was pretty slow all in all though. I'm going to make Catfish with Tomato, Basil, and Cream, a delicious recipe I will post when I get the time. Not bad for a couple of hours in the early afternoon, anyway.

7. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Not only is Doug a fisherman, it sound like he dabbles in the kitchen as well.
    Thats a nice stringer of fish.
    Sparky

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I just found out I'll be camping on Sessions Lake in October with my son's scout troop.
    I'm going to have learn how to catch channels in a lake in the fall.

Does anyone have any pointers about the lake itself or lake fishing channel cats in fall?

Slip floats maybe? Shrimp? Cut sucker?

Thanks,
    Tony

9. daniel smith

daniel smith New Member

State:
    midhigan
    Name:
    your real name
    ive been tryin all kinds of spots on sessions lake and no luck I'm about to throw in the towel! maybe somone can give me a good spot to start ?