serious question

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by SSgt Fishslayer, Apr 4, 2008.

1. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Does anyone know of any private ponds or small lakes that i could get access to in the Greenville/piedmont area? I am asking because i am in a slight predicamant. My grandfater is 70 years old and has Parkinsons disease. he is getting pretty bad off. I wanted to try and take him fishing out there before it got too late. He is the one that taught me how to fish and turned me on to this great sport when i was very small. anyone know of anywhere like this?

2. crclhuk1

crclhuk1 Member

State:
    Central, SC
    There are a couple of "pay lakes" for catfish in the g'ville/piedmont area. Stoneybrooks fishing lake is located off of hwy29 between I85 and the jockey lot.
    Fire lake is located at the red light just before the jockey lot.
    There are a couple more but these two would be your easiest access and fairly "clean" lakes.
    Stoney brooks would be my best guess, thats where I grew up fishing with my dad until I was old enough to go on my own.
    Hope this helps your situation.
    Keep fishin and may god be with you and your grandfather.

3. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Joey, I don't know anything about your area but that's a great thing you are trying to do. Wish you lived a little closer we'd take him out on the toon and put him on some blues.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dang, thats a tough situation.

I don't know of any places, but if you bring him up to the Charlotte area we can go out on my boat.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Joey, I applaud you desire to take him fishing. I was in exactly the same predicament with my step-father some time back, but he never got well enough to go before he passed away. I hope you will be able to make the trip.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i would love to take him out on a boat, and have wanted to take him on a guided trip dwon at santee, but he wont go on a boat to save his life. he cant really get around to well and i am having a hard time finding somewhere to take him. its really hard now that i am in the Corps and stationed out in AZ. i would really like to find a nice farm pond, but people are really cautioous about who they let fish them now days. i used to fish a bunch of farm ponds around my house when i was younger, but they have posted them all now and no-one is allowed back there. thanks for all of the help. i will probably back out that way in the begining of may, hopefully i can find something by then. i fished stoney brook a long time ago, when i was about 10 or 12 years old. that was back when it wasnt a very good lake, mainly because they guy that owned it was feeding the cats in there dog food and not to many people were catching any. i havent been there lately but i have heard it is alot better now. thanks for all of the help. i really do appreciate it.

7. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Well if you can talk him into gettin on a boat, yall can come down here to Greenwood and we can get him on some big channel cats.Free of charge.If not that, my uncle has a pond in Due West that has some of the biggest bream and bass that you will come accross in SC and some big channel cats too.I'll have to put a blindfold on you though.:smile2:

8. dumpysinclair

dumpysinclair New Member

State:
    SC
    Sgt.,

If you head up to Table Rock State Park in Greenville/Pickens area, there is a small lake up there and if I remember correctly it may have had a wheelchair ramp and dock. Not much of a drive and a really pretty ride. It's been 6 years since I've been there. You can contact the state park there or maybe SC Dept. of Nat. Res., as they sometimes provide wheelchair access, can give you specifics and keep the banks clear around the ponds.

There are a few state regulated ponds in Union (Pittman and some out in that area of town). I wish I knew of a good farm pond to tell you about but if you post something in the editorials of The Greenville News or other local papers and include your e-mail address, I hope you'd get a few replies. There have to be lots of ponds in Pickens and other areas around G-ville and Spartanburg.

It's great to see how much you care about your grandpa, but also how helpful the BOC is. Take care, enjoy the "dry heat" and I hope y'all get a good trip together.

Take care,

D

PS-If your grandpa does go out with one of the guys who offered, I'm sure they have a pontoon or good sized, stable boat. I know my dad isn't too fond of small boats, as they scare him too!

9. bigcatman0001

bigcatman0001 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I have a pond in Donalds about an hour from Greenville with plenty of brim bass and some cats if you are interested