Serial Number?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Patmansc, Aug 16, 2006.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    I need to make a tracing, or take a picture, of the serial # on my 1999 Tracker (made by Mercury) 40hp motor in order to get it registered. But I can't find it :crazy: There is a small white sticker on the motor with some info on it, which is no longer legible. Can anyone help? Thank you very much.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the law stipulates that the boats hull identification number must be embossed on the aft of the boat on the starboard side, and within 2 inches of the top of the transom. That makes it on the rear of the boat on the right hand side and within two inches of the top of the transom - in english. The embossed numbers are to be a minimum of 1/4 inch in height.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/hin.html

Is the sayso in this matter. LOL

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Pat, look down on the lower part of the motor shaft or on the tilt tube. There is usually a metal tag in that area. The powerhead should have the numbers stamped somewhere, too. They used to do it on the 'freezeplugs', don't know about yours, though. The white sticker is probably a registration sticker. They fade out after a couple or so years, and then you can technically get a fine for it. Looks like they could make them UV resistant...

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you are looking for the serial number for the motor look on the transom mounting bracket and raise the motor up and look under the front of the motor toward the transom clamp

5. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    FOUND IT!!!!:big_smile: It was on the tilt tube - I had to raise the motor way up to find it. Thanks & rep to all of you for your help. Now - if you could only give me some tips to catch some fish, I'd be set :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes: :smile2:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Biggest secret to catching fish is to put a hook in the water. LOL